Sign in to follow this  
DMK855

K181 questions......

DMK855

I am finishing up a K181 to put on my 552. I have a few questions or opinions on a couple things!!

First. Until I find a carb, can I use the carb. off of my K181 on my JD. It appears to be pretty new and very clean. The casting number on the inside of my original one is "22". The new one has a "44" cast into it!!

Second. I am in need of a fuel pump. I have posted a thread in the wanted section for a vac. pump. While having this motor apart I noticed that it does have the ecentric on the cam for a mech. pump. Will a mech. pump work??

Third. I am picking up all stainless bolts for this motor. What are the opinions of using stainless bolts/studs for the head?? It had five bolts and two studs for bolting the GEN. bracket to the top.

Here are a couple of pictures of where I am at with it so far. I just have the tins mocked up. It is amazing how something as simple as changing the governor shaft can lead to a complete overhaul!!! :thumbs: All this because a little rivet on the gov. tab!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Dwayne

2j2evzb.jpg

28b88r6.jpg

chevy030303

:thumbs: you can use carb i think the second Qustion i dont know third i dont know

sorekiwi

The motor looks nice!

A mechanical fuel pump will work, since you have the eccentric on the cam to drive it.

I wouldnt use stainless bolts for the head bolts. Stainless bolts actually arent very strong, either in shear or tension, and tend to be brittle. In most of our applications stainless would work fine, but for head bolts I'd use something stronger to keep uniform pressure on the head gasket. I'd pick up some grade 8 bolts, although grade 5 would probably be fine. You could paint them red so they are not obviously a different color from the rest of your hardware.

MikesRJ

Q1 - Don't know.

Q2 - Try Milica Parts for the fuel pump. (231390) http://www.milacalawn.com/parts.asp

Q3 - I'm partial to the Grade-8 Gold Anodized Bolts from TSC. That gold looks to pretty against the red.

dgjks6

Just went through the fuel pump issues. They don't make rebuild kits. You have to buy a new mechanical one.

OEM - $70-$90 (includes shipping)

Aftermarket - $40-$60

I bought an after market at TEW for about $40 - and they sent me a Kohler!

DMK855

Mike, thanks for the compliment!! Now I need to paint the tractor it is going on!!!! :thumbs: Also, thanks for the input on the head bolts!! I was questioning that myself!!

MikesRJ, I know about the pumps, but I would like to find an Aluminum one!! Seems everyone is holding onto them though!! I may just spring for the new one!!

Dgjks6, thanks for the info!!

dgjks6

if you wamt my old metal one I will send it to you. I read somewhere that you can make the gaskets for it so you can rebuild it.

Duff

if you wamt my old metal one I will send it to you. I read somewhere that you can make the gaskets for it so you can rebuild it.

Isn't there a thread here somewhere that gives the contact info for a guy (in Maine, I think?) who makes the rebuild kits for these? :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs:

EDIT: Here's one thread I found:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19171

DMK855

Isn't there a thread here somewhere that gives the contact info for a guy (in Maine, I think?) who makes the rebuild kits for these? :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs:

EDIT: Here's one thread I found:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19171

Duff, I did find the other thread also with the info. I called and talked to Mike today and have a kit on the way. If his kit works as well and lasts as long as the original pump parts did, I will never have to worry about it again!! :thumbs:

I will post pics of the kit and the rebuild in this thread when I get it done!!

DMK855

Now on to the carb issue.....

I was going to look for a carb. for this motor as the one I am "using" for it is off of my JD 110. (Actually the boys, as he has laid claims to it!!!) The carb on this engine had a bad float and a worn throttle shaft. When removing the screws from the throttle plate, one broke. At that point I put all the pieces in a ziplock and tossed 'em the spare parts bin.

This evening, I dug the carb out and went to work on it. I was able to get the broken screw out and saved the threads in the throttle shaft. Now the question that I have is Brian Miller still in business?? I need to get the throttle shaft bushing and some new screws. Also, need to order a carb. kit and float. Who is the best to order these from?? I would like to save this carb!!

Thanks in advance!!

sorekiwi

I think Brian (KBLOR) siad recently that he can get throttle shaft kits.

Any Kohler deaaler could get you the carb kit and float, Brian can probably get them too.

DMK855

Thanks Mike. I know the shaft bushings for a K181 are different than the larger motors. I will check with him! Thanks!

wheelhorse656

I am finishing up a K181 to put on my 552. I have a few questions or opinions on a couple things!!

First. Until I find a carb, can I use the carb. off of my K181 on my JD. It appears to be pretty new and very clean. The casting number on the inside of my original one is "22". The new one has a "44" cast into it!!

Second. I am in need of a fuel pump. I have posted a thread in the wanted section for a vac. pump. While having this motor apart I noticed that it does have the ecentric on the cam for a mech. pump. Will a mech. pump work??

Third. I am picking up all stainless bolts for this motor. What are the opinions of using stainless bolts/studs for the head?? It had five bolts and two studs for bolting the GEN. bracket to the top.

Here are a couple of pictures of where I am at with it so far. I just have the tins mocked up. It is amazing how something as simple as changing the governor shaft can lead to a complete overhaul!!! :thumbs: All this because a little rivet on the gov. tab!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Dwayne

2j2evzb.jpg

28b88r6.jpg

nice looking motor! :thumbs: i agree grade a gold anodized bolts would look the best!!! :thumbs:

Fiscalyear

Dwayne.

DMK855

Sent you an email message.

I don't know but I'm thinking I'm supposed to just say 'BUMP' here..?? :thumbs:

:thumbs: Eddie

DMK855

Fiscalyear...... You have Mail!!

Thanks!

Coadster32

On things you don't need to really torque, stainless is fine. Things you really need to torque, steer away from stainless. Good luck :thumbs:

DMK855

Thanks Coadster!!

Just a little update. Napa was able to get the Kohler carb. kit and Kohler float. Our local DC had them in stock. Nice ordering tractor parts, not picking up the phone to do it, and having them in your hand in a couple of hours with no shipping!!! Still trying to track down throttle shaft bushings though!! Appears the K181 Carter carbs. are different than the 10hp and up carbs!!

I also recieved the fuel pump kit from Then and Now. I am very happy with it and plan to get more for the other 4 vac. pump tractors!! I installed the kit with no problems. I will let you know how it works when I get the engine ready to fire!! Here are a few pics of the pump kit.

Kit.

2lk2s13.jpg

Valves.

ji16oo.jpg

Valves in pump.

14k8ojq.jpg

sorekiwi

I also recieved the fuel pump kit from Then and Now. I am very happy with it and plan to get more for the other 4 vac. pump tractors!! I installed the kit with no problems.

Sorry I might be misunderstanding you here...

Is this the kit from Mike Casella?

DMK855

Yes, That kit is from Mike Casella at Then and Now Automotive!! :thumbs:

Fiscalyear

Dwayne, you may be able to just file a small amount off the throttle shaft bushings if you need smaller bushings. I sent instructions along. You should recieve them today. Good to see things are coming together for you. Keep up the pics.

:thumbs: Eddie

DMK855

Thanks Eddie. I am also worried about the throttle shaft diameter. I will see what I have when they get here!!