Sign in to follow this  
trettig

Rubber handle - to paint? or not?

trettig

I am restoring a tractor and would like to know....

Do people normally paint the shifter handle black. The shifter is rubber. Is there a special way of restoring rubber.

wheelhorse656

I am restoring a tractor and would like to know....

Do people normally paint the shifter handle black. The shifter is rubber. Is there a special way of restoring rubber.

if you are talking about the shifter boot you can buy them on ebay for around 4 bucks. or i have a few for 4 bucks plus shipping. if your talking about the knob on the shift lever ask Glen one of our vendors he has ones he makes. Hope this helps Jordan :thumbs:

Redbirdman

Glen (or someone) will also tell you there 'is a way' and a product that can be used to rejuvenate the steering wheel and shift knob ..........it is a product that you apply then bag and allow a few days to cure. AFA the lift handle I dunna know? :thumbs:

I have used Krylon clear on some things just for show, but any paint or clear seems to just make it worse later.

Ironically, I have noticed the best way to bring the handle back is to use it!!

ed :thumbs:

VinsRJ

Tom, are you talking about the RJ? Shifter boots are still available as mentioned above, shifter knobs can be restored with primer/filler and a good quality gloss black. An internet search will get you company names who offer very simular knobs new. As for the lift arm hand grip it can be restored also using tire black.

trettig

Is the tire black is the same as tire stain sold by Miller Tire? I am talking about the plastic knob on the RJ35 shifter and attachment lifting bar rubber handle.

GlenPettit

For both the HARD and the SOFT plastic (and 'Bake-o-lite') Knobs & Handles; the very best product to use to restore the original luster is 'Meguiar's Supreme Shine Protectant' Plastic Restorer ($8, 16 oz spray, at most Auto Stores) -- spray on a rag and rub it in, real well, cover knob with small bag or better yet, 'cling-wrap' for a week or so and the dry powdery knob will return to almost new condition, (restoring the original oils near the surface, giving UV protection too), re-do every year for a deeper restore. If you're applying a new label to the knob, apply the label first, before you restore with the protectant. Use Meguiar's on every piece of plastic on your tractor, plus plastic buckets & plastic on your tools.

Tire Black is best for the large rubber wheel tires, and works great for them; Miller Tire Company brand is the best ($20/qt.

trettig

Wow, thanks for the info.