Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Roller Chain

mattd860

I want to order some roller chain for the front wheels but need a little advice. I see many users here are using #40 chain but I would like to use #60 since I usually live by the motto "more is better". Any problem with #60?

I also want to know if I should use riveted or cottered (pin) chain? I like the idea of the cottered chain because every link is easily adjustable. Is riveted chain just as adjustable by popping the rivets out AND back in?

hoser63

i used #60 chain...it digs in very good on ice and snow...but it is hard on the tie rods..ended up breaking one....good luck

smoreau

:thumbs: I use #50 chain and like it alot!! digs in good and works awsome. I had some already for another project and it is rivited, deflate the tire and put it in tight, then air up the tire. you will love the difference. I don't see any problem with useing #60 I will post some pics.

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

I used master links but you can use the stock links and hammer the ends back if you want. Good luck!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

can whlvr

i find that 40 digs in really good,60 works but i htink it will take a long time to wear out 40

wheelhorse656

sounds like it really works good. but how badly does it tear up asphalt and concreet?

COMMANDO1

I think im going to use those next winter, but i am going to put on two rows each tire. think it will work alot better. Let me know if anyone has tried 2 rows on each side?

tmessenger

Is bicycle chain heavy enough ? Have a lot of the stuff around might be worth a try regardless.

Kelly

If you have it, all it will cost is time to see, but I'm sure it will work just fine.

tmix

:thumbs: One chain per tire is great I use 40# around the center but had to weld the master the clip was comming off. Not anymore works great t mix

can whlvr

bicycle chain works the best for grip on ice but it rolls over and deforms,i tried it,then used 60,it was too big and i found doesnt bite as well as 40,plus my thrower uses 40 so i buy extra master links