Sign in to follow this  
gimgrund1

gimgrund1

I am restoring a 551 with a 5.5 hp tecumseh the tractor and motor were in boxes when i found it. Now I am having trouble finding some of the smaller parts such as the rod that goes from the governor to the carburetor and the rod that goes from the shroud to the governor. I am looking to make these pieces but am having trouble finding the dimensions. Would anyone have a diagram that would be useful?

VinsRJ

:thumbs:

I believe the linkage is the same as a H60 Tech/Lauson. I can provide you with a pic and demensions unless someone chimes in that I'm worng.

PM me your e-mail addy for the pics.

SkyhawkTL

I recently restored a 551 Tecumseh. It is stored for the winter and hard to get at so exact rod length measurements will have to wait. But I think it would be easy to just fabricate your own rods after you look at it for a second. I have 3 photos taken during the rebuild that should help out.

The govenor C linkage - the engine shroud linkage - the top view adjustment photos.

There are only two rods to make,

The lower rod goes from the engine shroud L lever to the bottom of the govenor C linkage - its length is not adjustable.

The top rod goes from the top or the govenor C linkage to the carb - this has a length adjustment built in.

The govenor C linkage has a short travel = make a lower rod that will allow you to move the govenor back and forth and keep the shroud connection pointed basically down.

Measure and make the top rod and use the adjustment to set up idle. Check for full travel and your done. :thumbs:

Hope this helps for now - (Might have been easier to dig out the tractor at take measurements) :thumbs:

DSC00254.jpg

The adjustment is at the top of the governor C linkage.

IMG00016-20100720-1739.jpg

The spring and the L lever should be pointing straight down when set up. (See where the spring rusted the shroud)

DSC00497.jpg

You can see the adjustment for the top rod.

mattd860

Anybody have a part number on a replacement governor spring? The original Tecumseh part number for it has been discontinued and I need something that will work.

mattd860

I recently restored a 551 Tecumseh. It is stored for the winter and hard to get at so exact rod length measurements will have to wait. But I think it would be easy to just fabricate your own rods after you look at it for a second. I have 3 photos taken during the rebuild that should help out.

The govenor C linkage - the engine shroud linkage - the top view adjustment photos.

There are only two rods to make,

The lower rod goes from the engine shroud L lever to the bottom of the govenor C linkage - its length is not adjustable.

The top rod goes from the top or the govenor C linkage to the carb - this has a length adjustment built in.

The govenor C linkage has a short travel = make a lower rod that will allow you to move the govenor back and forth and keep the shroud connection pointed basically down.

Measure and make the top rod and use the adjustment to set up idle. Check for full travel and your done. :thumbs:

Hope this helps for now - (Might have been easier to dig out the tractor at take measurements) :thumbs:

You can see the adjustment for the top rod.

BTW: Gorgeous job on the restore!