Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Moldboard & Tiller

mattd860

I purchased my first home on 3 acres here in eastern CT this spring I want to plant a garden or two. I bought a 36" tiller for my Wheel Horse but I need to know if it's necessary to get a moldboard plow as well? Is the tiller all I need to break the ground? I've never started a garden before so take me to school!!!

Thanks

MaineDad

Matt,

If it's new ground that never has been gardened before than a moldboard plow would be very useful. After you plow, you then till it a few times. After a couple of years, the tiller will handle it from there. But, plowing is the most fun in my opinion, so you can do it every year :thumbs:

Read my blog for more Wheel Horse gardening;

www.gardentractorgardening.com

GlenPettit

Probably don't need the moldboard plow.

When you till makes all the difference; too moist and the mud sticks & clumps to everything, too dry and soil is like rocks/hardpan. "If it's easy to dig with a shovel & doesn't stick to it, it's OK to till".

The heavier your tractor is, the easier it is to till, lots of weight on the read wheels, and certainly weight up front to balance the heavy tiller in back and control steering.

I really enjoy tilling, especially after you have built up the soil with organic materials; leaves, leaves, leaves, manure, chips, straw, sawdust -- anything you can get. After a few years, the soil balances itself, feeds itself, almost waters itself.

We till about 7-8 times a year, but because we're so organic in the soil & always adding stuff, this is not excessive tilling.

Michigan Glen

jtmoyer

when tilling now ground you have to over it at least twice. till it to get the grass turned over twice and then let it sit for a week and till it twice again, now you are ready to plant. next year it will till easy. i have moved my garden the last two years and have done this. the key is waiting a week in between tilling to kill the grass.

also start a compost pile if feed your garden.

can whlvr

i have both a mold and a tiller,if money is no object then get a mold and the needed hitch,but the tiller can and will do it alone

6wheeler

A tiller will do all you need IMO. But I prefer to plow, disc and cultivate. The biggest thing I think. If you do not have room to store, or funds to aquire the other implements, plus put the proper hitch on your tractor, your tiller will do fine. Although I don't farm anymore, doing my gardens similar to the fieldwork I did then makes me feel good. I am currently building a tandem pull type disc and a pull type field cultivator (smaller of course) that I can pull with my C-165. My wife calls me a mini-farmer.

farmer

Matt,

I totally agree with what the others have said, a plough makes following

passes with a tiller much easier, turning the soil the old fashion way is fun

also! And having fun while you work the soil is what its all about :thumbs:

If you do go for a plough, I would suggest a 10" / 12" furrow width.....

Agri tyres and if possible rear wheel weights, good luck. :thumbs: