Sign in to follow this  
jsmay

418-8 tractor....

jsmay

hey guy's outta the blue I have a possible trade for my 265H for a 418-8... its pretty clean, unknown hours cause the meter doesn't work. The tractor has a 48" deck, plow, weights and chains.. auto lift... sounds great too me, the guy wants my newer tractor to cut with.

My question is, are they're any known problems related to the 418's... anything special i should look at? I asked if it smoked and he said, no.. just when you first fire it over but he was thinking it was because the use of the choke.

But the guy also mentioned a 314 H tractor instead of the 418... same details...deck/plow. which would be better?

Again, I know some of this is personal preferrence, but I'm looking for stand out flaws between the 2. Also I tend to like the 314, being a single cylinder, thinking toward to future, a single is cheaper/easier to rebuild or replace than a twin cylinder... I think thats my only thoughts at this point.

thanks guys for your patience...

bitten

The 400 is a heaver duty platform and is the one I would pick.

Kelly

Look them both over good, even if the meter does not work how many hours + does it have? I believe the 418 has a Onan, if not cared for can cost a bunch to repair, you said Auto lift it must be electric, with a 8 speed make sure it works good, I'd lean to the 314 H it should do everything you will ever want, be cheaper on gas, engine mantainace will be cheaper, it should have hyd. lift, but not sure on that.

Both are good tractors, look them over and pick, I don't think you can go wrong, unless they are beaters.

Ken B

I totally agree with Kelly. If either one of them is decent I'd trade that 265 off and get some real work done.

jsmay

Look them both over good, even if the meter does not work how many hours + does it have? I believe the 418 has a Onan, if not cared for can cost a bunch to repair, you said Auto lift it must be electric, with a 8 speed make sure it works good, I'd lean to the 314 H it should do everything you will ever want, be cheaper on gas, engine mantainace will be cheaper, it should have hyd. lift, but not sure on that.

Both are good tractors, look them over and pick, I don't think you can go wrong, unless they are beaters.

thank you, that is what I'm thinking. Besides the hydro is nice!

thanks guys.

jsmay

is there a big difference in chassis between the two? What is the weight difference...? The two tractors share the same implements right? Also several different engines would work on the 314 right... 10hp-12hp from the 300 series tractors as compaired to the one year 18 twin on the 418...

I may be horribly wrong on that but, I'm just thinking things through in my melon...(scary thought at this hour)...

thanks again.

TT

They're basically the same tractor - except for the drivetrain.

The 314-H (as long as it's a true "H" and not an "A") will be newer, with an Eaton 1100 hydro unit/hydraulic lift (very good unit) and it should have an M-14 Magnum single. (very good engine)

The 418 will have a Kohler M-18 Magnum horizontally-opposed twin.

If the tractors are in similar cosmetic and mechanical condition, I would lean towards the 314 - but that's just my opinion.

nylyon

I would lean towards the 314 also and the frames are the same between the 314 and 418

HankB

You can see my 314-H at work clearing the big snow of '11:

Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of having a hydro. For work like plowing or mowing a suburban lot with lots of obstacles, the fingertip speed control and direction change is great. The only place where the hydro may not shine is when rototilling where the tiller can tend to push the tractor faster than the hydro would drive it. I have tilled with mine and noticed that tendency, but I was able to till effectively nevertheless.

My understanding is that the 314-H has the same trans as the 520-H. That's the Eaton 1100 series. I do not know whether that includes the final drive as well.

As others have aid, either tractor would be great so it comes down to personal preference and comparative condition.

-hank

jsmay

They're basically the same tractor - except for the drivetrain.

The 314-H (as long as it's a true "H" and not an "A") will be newer, with an Eaton 1100 hydro unit/hydraulic lift (very good unit) and it should have an M-14 Magnum single. (very good engine)

The 418 will have a Kohler M-18 Magnum horizontally-opposed twin.

If the tractors are in similar cosmetic and mechanical condition, I would lean towards the 314 - but that's just my opinion.

i have seen the 314A and 314H.. what is the difference...? good to know that the H is the one to get if there is a choice. Thanks!

jsmay

You can see my 314-H at work clearing the big snow of '11:

Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of having a hydro. For work like plowing or mowing a suburban lot with lots of obstacles, the fingertip speed control and direction change is great. The only place where the hydro may not shine is when rototilling where the tiller can tend to push the tractor faster than the hydro would drive it. I have tilled with mine and noticed that tendency, but I was able to till effectively nevertheless.

My understanding is that the 314-H has the same trans as the 520-H. That's the Eaton 1100 series. I do not know whether that includes the final drive as well.

As others have aid, either tractor would be great so it comes down to personal preference and comparative condition.

-hank

HankB! That vid is Killer!!! thats a beast! and no chains....!

TT

i have seen the 314A and 314H.. what is the difference...? good to know that the H is the one to get if there is a choice. Thanks!

The 314-A is a 1985-only tractor with a K-321 Kohler single and the weaker Eaton 700 series hydro pump. (no hydraulic lift)

They are not a bad machine, but the 314-H is better.

kpinnc

I do not know whether that includes the final drive as well.

Yes, if you are referring to the transaxle (the gears, housing, axle, and hubs). Both the -A and -H units have the 8-pinion, heavy duty gearbox.

As TT said, the difference is in the hydrostatic "pump". The Eaton 700 series are not suited for "ground engaging" attachments- meaning you can mow with them or even run a tiller behind them, but you should not put them under too heavy a pulling load. Plowing or dragging something heavy behind them is asking for trouble, and they are expensive to replace if you can even find one.

HankB

I do not know whether that includes the final drive as well.

Yes, if you are referring to the transaxle (the gears, housing, axle, and hubs). Both the -A and -H units have the 8-pinion, heavy duty gearbox.

As TT said, the difference is in the hydrostatic "pump". The Eaton 700 series ...

I think we're comparing two different things here. I was comparing the transaxle on the 314-H vs. the 520-H. I don't think the 520-H ever used the Eaton 700.

TT

The transaxle is made by Wheel Horse on all of the "standard" hydro (automatic) garden tractors.

The pump and motor assembly are either made by Sundstrand (up until mid-1980) or Eaton.

The Eaton 700 series was a lighter-duty with it's own smaller reservoir, no external filtration, and no capability for adding hydraulic lift.

The Eaton 1100 series uses the transaxle as the fluid reservoir, has an external (spin-on) filter, and is capable of powering hydraulic lift.

With a few minor changes, the 700 series hydro unit can be removed and an 1100 series installed directly on to the Wheel Horse transaxle.

No upgrades are available for the Sundstrands, unless the complete transaxle & Eaton pump assembly from a newer tractor is installed.

All 520-H models used the Eaton 1100 series hydro unit and I believe the transaxle model number is 115173.

mattd860

I have a 418-8 and I love it. Plenty of balls to do what I need. I would prefer a hydro but my 418-8 has electric lift so I'm happy. At least I don't have to shift AND pull a lever. The hydro would make snow blowing easier but that's it.

jsmay

The transaxle is made by Wheel Horse on all of the "standard" hydro (automatic) garden tractors.

The pump and motor assembly are either made by Sundstrand (up until mid-1980) or Eaton.

The Eaton 700 series was a lighter-duty with it's own smaller reservoir, no external filtration, and no capability for adding hydraulic lift.

The Eaton 1100 series uses the transaxle as the fluid reservoir, has an external (spin-on) filter, and is capable of powering hydraulic lift.

With a few minor changes, the 700 series hydro unit can be removed and an 1100 series installed directly on to the Wheel Horse transaxle.

No upgrades are available for the Sundstrands, unless the complete transaxle & Eaton pump assembly from a newer tractor is installed.

All 520-H models used the Eaton 1100 series hydro unit and I believe the transaxle model number is 115173.

so... a quick way to tell if its the 1100 hydro pump is to look for a filter right? is it a spin on? so if this seems trivial, I just haven't seen one before and i really don't want to get a tractor that i have to worry about plowing/till.. thats what i have now. thanks for the tips! I'm real sure that that it is a 314H. not A.. so the H + filter= real 314 hydro beast!

thanks!

HankB

so... a quick way to tell if its the 1100 hydro pump is to look for a filter right? is it a spin on?

Yes, looking from the rear of the tractor it will be just inboard of the left tire and above the axle.

Brrly1

QUOTE (so... a quick way to tell if its the 1100 hydro pump is to look for a filter right? is it a spin on? so if this seems trivial, I just haven't seen one before and i really don't want to get a tractor that i have to worry about plowing/till.. thats what i have now. thanks for the tips! I'm real sure that that it is a 314H. not A.. so the H + filter= real 314 hydro beast!) sounds about right, just what TT said

TT

Yes - there will be a spin-on filter just behind the "top" of the left rear tire.

This is usually contested, but if you have a lawn with many obstacles to trim around, the hydro will be faster for mowing.

Most folks who "bad mouth" hydros are intimidated by them because they don't understand them or they think that they're too complex to inspect and repair them themselves. If they are serviced and maintained regularly, they will give years of trouble-free service.

Nothing has been touched on my 416-H in 21 years but the oil and filter. It had around 1200 hours on it when the meter quit working - which has been at least 6 years ago.

jsmay

thanks! this really helps, anything else? those kohlers are pretty bullet proof on the 314 right? I think I'm gonna sway more towards the 314.

jason

kpinnc

those kohlers are pretty bullet proof on the 314 right?

Yes, and they (single cylinder models) last forever if maintained properly as well.

varosd

great info on Hydros and all the differences. I only have my 8 speed B-80 and would like to find a little 'newer' WH with hydro and bigger engine. Always great info!! :thumbs: