Sign in to follow this  
harleyjj

where to buy a new hub?

harleyjj

My local Toro dealer wants what I feel is wayyy too much for a replacement hub, Where have you guys had good luck buying them from? and what do you feel is a reasonable price?

P.S. My left hub came off again yesterday. :banghead::thumbs::ROTF:

also It seems to be weeping a bit of oil from the left axle seal now, can I replace the seal without tearing apart the trans?

SAM58

Check out Daves Tractor World, has lots of used stuff.

Most go for around 50 - 60 bucks 1" or 1-1/8" axle some are made heavier.

Davestractorworld.com Webpage :banghead:

stevasaurus

Yes...you can replace the seal without tearing down the transmission. :banghead:

harleyjj

what is the process for replacing the seal?

Kelly

I just sold last week a nice set of 1 1/8" hubs the newer heavy duty style, for $75 I don't think I have anymore right now.

To change the seal, remove the hub, we know yours comes off, that is half the battle, remove the key, at this point I like to do my cleaning, before removing the old seal, degrease everything, I also take a fine file to the top of the key way, most are pushed up on the sides, file it flat, then I use fine sand paper or emery paper to polish the axle, then take a punch or pick and poke the seal, till you can get under the edge, to pull it out, other times I have pushed one side in so the seal deforms and I can pull it out, don't gouge the axle, clean the axle and wipe a light coat of grease on the shaft, and the back of the new seal, slide it on the shaft, now watch it when sliding it over the key-way, I put pressure from the other side to keep from cutting the seal on the sharp edges of the key-way, to seat the seal, I've used a boxed end wrench, in a pinch, but a piece of pipe/PVC works good, drive it in flush, install the hub, check the trans fluid, and your done.

tmessenger

I have 1-1/8" hubs they are still mounted on the trans but I just made a tool to get the hubs off so send me an email or PM if you're interested.

Tim

harleyjj

thanks Kelly! and I sent you a PM Tim

tmessenger

thanks Kelly! and I sent you a PM Tim

Didn't get your PM but look in the FS section I have a new post for transaxle part out with all the trans parts listed and photos.

Regards,

Tim

harleyjj

Thanks Tim,

I think I will just order a new one. for the 20 bucks more for the new one it's worth it to me to not have to fight with getting yours off of the axle. I greatly appreciate it though!

anyone have a good hub not stuck on an axle for sale?

tmessenger

Thanks Tim,

I think I will just order a new one. for the 20 bucks more for the new one it's worth it to me to not have to fight with getting yours off of the axle. I greatly appreciate it though!

anyone have a good hub not stuck on an axle for sale?

If the old hub was working lose on the axle have you checked it is the key way still good ?

harleyjj

the key way on the axle seems fine just the hub is shot