Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

Snow blower extension plates

Forest Road

Hi guys

I looked at two single stage blowers over the summer. Both were rather beat up but I noticed that they were coming apart at the side welds. I assumed it was from the pulling of the extension plates. I ended up locating a really nice single stage. And immediately removed the plates. They're hanging up in the garage in case I ever get the desire to try them out.

I'm wondering how many long time WH guys have seen their snow blowers pulled apart by those plates. Or am I just being overly cautious.

Thanks

Kevin

pfrederi

I know what you are talking about. I have 3 blowers and two of them have been repaired. I haven't used the extension plates until this year. I will watch them closely. I have a feeling that it isn't the snowblowing but running into objects or trying to dig in to existing hard packed snow piles that has caused the damage....

can whlvr

i rebuilt a 1969 blower,i used the wings the first time i tried it,i put them on wrong and bent the s--t out of the sides,im surprised that it still works good

Kelly

Well from the factory they don't weld the side on very good to start, then if you hit any thing it breaks the small weld at the front top.

scifi4all

Last year I was trying, rather successfully, to cut through a lot of fresh deep snow 10"-18" or more, some of it drifted. We had quite a few heavy snow storms last year. On 6 diffeferent driveways, none of the family have snow removal equipment, plus they know I enjoy doing it.

Near the end of the season I noticed that I had cracks on both side of my single stage, at the welds. I never hit anything, I just kept pushing and throwing the snow. I had them rewelded. I agree the extensions cause the cracks, due to flexing of the plates, but without them my tractor tires would be packing down the snow. The tractor is a little wider than the blower.

In fact when I hooked up the blower this year I found two more stress cracks on the right and left sides, at the back, of the discharge chute base. How I or my welder missed them I do not know. Just going to have to weld 'em, paint 'em, and start blowing again next year. :thumbs: