Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Spark Plug Hole Repair....

mattd860

Last night I stripped out the threads on the head of my K301. I would like to just buy a used head on ebay but I cannot since I seem to have a very different head and engine shroud than most other K301 12hp Kohler's. The 'normal' K301 head has countersunk bolt holes. My bolt holes are flush with the top of the head fins. Check this out -

P1020990.jpg

So my only option is to repair the threads at this time. Can someone tell me what size I need to drill out the spark plug hole to and what size helicoil to use? I'm pretty sure the spark plug is M14 right?

Anybody heard of this kit? http://www.amazon.com/Perma-Plug-1-25-Spar...59676714&sr=8-5

rmaynard

The kit you need is an M14 - 1.25. Be sure to do it with the head off or you will leave debris in the valve area.

The kit shown in the link is fine, however, I only paid $12.00 for a FIX-A-THRED kit on eBay. Included 3 different length inserts, cutting tap, and insert tool.

theoldwizard1

I have never used them, but they are highly recommended by mechanics who have.

A few years back Ford had a big problem with plugs bowing out :banghead: of the cylinder heads on some V8 engines. These were the only ones recommended for "authorized" repairs.

Timesert

TT

You can use the newer head with the short bolt bosses if you use the matching head bolts ~ or 9 spacers.

mattd860

You can use the newer head with the short bolt bosses if you use the matching head bolts ~ or 9 spacers.

Yeah I suppose I can do that. I only need to add spacers to the three bolts that bolt down the head cover.

I ordered a helicoil kit and will be checking the head for warpage for now. I doubt this will be a permanent solution but hopefully it will get me up and running for the weekend so I can clear more snow.

rmaynard

I doubt this will be a permanent solution but hopefully it will get me up and running for the weekend so I can clear more snow.

Done correctly, it should be good for as long as the original threads lasted if not longer. Your new threads are going to be stainless steel.