Sign in to follow this  
dwayneGT

Rebuild or Repower

dwayneGT

I have a question to pose to members. I have a 1983 GT 1142 that I'm starting to hear noise from the bottom end of the motor (probably a rod). do you think I should rebuild, replace with another B&S or repower with a Kohler maybe 12 or 14 hp? I hope it will last the rest of the snow season she has had quite a work out this year. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :banghead:

Kelly

My opinion is find a good running Kohler to swap into it, brigg are good engines, but I personaly like Kohlers better.

just me

briggs tend to be cheaper to rebuild

TT

I believe the big question is how much money do you want to spend?

Swapping to a Kohler will require a lot more than you might think.

sgtsampay

I agree with TT. Also, going from a Briggs to Kohler will most likey require a wire harness change also. Another thing I have been noticing is that people latley in my area have been selling Kohler but it because they are getting worn out, so they are in need of rebuild.

Anyway, i would just personaly stick with the Briggs and rebuild the old girl. Then again, I'm very into Briggs as they are easy to work on (Mostly), cheapest to rebuild, and pretty reboust.

can whlvr

if u rebuild the briggs it will go for a long time,if its orig its gone almost 30 years already

wheelhorse656

I agree rebuild the briggs!!!!!! :banghead:

VinsRJ

Just for the ease of purpose I agree rebiulding the Briggs is the best way to go. But keep in mind that a rebiuld is best prior to major loss like tossing the rod. So keep a close ear on that knock. If it starts to get more noticable shut it down. No need to blow a hole out of the block or scrapping the crank.

jimt1971

I would rebuild, but before a rod breaks.

Jim

dwayneGT

Thanks for all the input :banghead: It looks like a rebuild in the near future is the way to go. I've rebuilt 4's,V6's and V8's, this will be my first attempt at a small engine :thumbs: I'll keep you posted and I'm sure I'll have questions!

Thanks

KB9LOR

I agree with the Rebuild, much cheaper, and Original!

rick

+1 on the rebuild!