Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

418 vs 518

IthacaJeff

Hi all;

MattD's post a bit ago showing his 418-8 at work got me thinking. Why would WH

make a 518 and a 418? (or a 516 and a 416/417). Was it simply a model change

to come with the new year? If I recall, the 500 series didn't really offer anything

different from the 400 series.

Also, what do you make of the Kohler 18M twins in the 418?

Any idea what WH was thinking? Inquiring minds want to know. . .

Jeff in Enfield NY

TT

Any idea what WH was thinking? Inquiring minds want to know. . .

It's what Toro was telling them to think - and do.

Export model changes, tire size differences for certain decks, engine suppliers, single cylinder or twin cylinder...... some are quite unexplainable - others are clear as glass.

Try deciphering the 316-8 or the 512-D if you want to :banghead:

kpinnc

What will really get your marbles rolling is that the 416-H was actually a much more rugged machine than the 516-H. Dependent on year model, they both had Onan engines, but the 416 had the larger hydro pump and had hydraulic lift. The domestic 516-H had the smaller pump with manual lift. The 416 had 6 inch front wheels, and the 518 had 8 inch front wheels.

In short, the domestic 516-H and 518-H used a different styled center console with more instrumentation. There may have been a few "creature comfort" type improvements like a better steering wheel, but that's about it as far as any true improvements. Neither model had hydraulic lift. The exception to that rule were the European export 518-H version of the same machines. They used the Eaton 1100 series hydro pumps and had hydraulic lift. I am not sure if there was an export 516-H, but I have never seen one.

I think Wheel Horse used "new" models like this at the time as a way to clear inventory of parts used on other machines from previous years. There are way too many examples to list here, but such "head scratch moments" are plentiful over the years.

Try deciphering the 316-8 or the 512-D if you want to

:banghead: :thumbs: