Sign in to follow this  
rob65

312-8 Starter

rob65

I had a snow day today, :banghead: So I went and pulled the old starter out of my machine. What do you think?

While it's apart waiting for the replacement is there anything else I should do to the ignition system? I was thinking of replacing the solenoid, Should I replace anything else?

Thanks, Rob

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n520/thecrawman/starter/

(have'nt mastered posting pics. yet, How do I get them to appear in the thread?)

B-8074

tractor035.jpg

tractor033.jpg

tractor034.jpg

Here you go. Click on the ( IMG ) tab and when the window pops up paste your link in and hit ok.

rob65

thank you. that helps.

jimbotelho

should check the teeth on the r ing gear bef :banghead: ore assembling

stevasaurus

I'd hold off until you fix the starter, then go from there. I would also take a good look at the teeth on your fly wheel after looking at your starter. :banghead: The dirt on the shaft where the spring is was keeping the pinion from fully engaging. :thumbs:

rob65

should check the teeth on the r ing gear bef :banghead: ore assembling

looks like the gear teeth are integral to the flywheel. Any other way to check other than removing the engine shroud? doesnt look like a big deal, Just the linkage attached on the left hand side, if facing the flywheel. The small sector I can see through the opening for the starter looks o.k., no real way to cycle it through to see the rest of it.

rob65

Well I just went outside with a flashlight. I was able to cycle the flywheel. No broken teeth, I guess that's good. Was slight round over on the flank of the tooth, starter-side. As was stated, it does look like the drive pinion was not fully engaged.

Recommend taking a file to the teeth? They really dont look that bad. could post pics. tomorrow.

rob65

Just an update, I happend to notice that there was only one of the 5-1/16 (oddball)

bolts connecting the starter to the motor. I believe that when a load was applied to the starter it would kick to one side, thus destroying the pinion. I'm sure it was the cause of all the crud on the shaft. New starter, bolts and dip-stick gasket came in this week and will be installed tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well.

Sparky

Keep us posted Rob.

Mike.........

rob65

Well things are not progressing as was hoped. After replacing the starter, it was turning over fine. I tried it app. 6 times with no issues then I lost all electrical. After investigating further I found several melted wires and connections. Obvious that it has been this way for some time. :thumbs: I have removed the entire wiring harness as it is trashed.

I think I'm going to need some help here. I can order the harness and replacement parts but I feel rewiring the machine is over my head.

:thumbs:

Duff

DISCLAIMER: What follows is not recommended for all tractor owners. One should decide based on one's own level of experience and knowledge of operating machines, operating conditions, intended uses, and whether or not any other person(s) will be operating the tractor......

That said, it is actually very easy to rewire a 312 with the basics - starter, ignition/charging system, volt meter and lights. It is only when you add safety switches and system monitors (what I affectionately call the "idiot lights" on the dash), that things start to get complicated.

I now step back to duck the (perhaps deserved) wrath of my fellow RS'ers who advocate for safety switches. :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs: