Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsejoe

Kohler Engines

wheelhorsejoe

Does anyone know the reason why some wheel horse tractors have a engine cradle others don't? thanks Joe

TT

It was an attempt to decrease vibration for the operator and was probably implemented to be competitive with other brands.

It started in 1978 and lasted until 1984 on most C series tractors.

I'm not exactly sure why they quit using the isolation cradle, but personally I'm glad they did.

wheelhorsejoe

Thanks TT but why do you like it better with out the iso cradle

TT

Those wonderful little rubber mounts will set you back about $80 - $90 these days.

My opinion is that there were just a bunch of extra parts on there to pacify people that didn't appreciate what operating a real piece of machinery felt like. :banghead:

tommy3horse

Hello;

I am in the process of rebuilding the K341 on my 78 c161 as we speak. I will be crossing the "cradle/solid mount" crossroad soon. I have heard that you can kinda turn it into a C160 with a new belt cover, pto mount, and a few other little things. I could go either way. Pros/cons?

Tom

:banghead:

TT

Due to the different block / oil pan, you really can't EASILY mount the engine solid to the frame.

What you CAN do is make (or have someone make) solid steel or aluminum "bushings" to take the place of the rubber mounts. If you do it that way, you won't have to change a thing. :banghead:

rick

I wish I had used solid replacements for the cradle bushings when I redid my C111. At some RPMS it accentuates the engine shake. At full throttle, though, it is very smooth. Also, unless I engage the PTO, the linkage shakes and rattles. None of my other tractors with solid mounted engines act the same way......Now I have never put a deck on the C111, the snow blade lives there. That will, I'm sure, settle the PTO shakes.

TT

You can actually "fix" the C-111 quite easily, Rick.

Check out eBay #170594124977 :banghead: