Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

79 C-161 auto speed control lever stuck

bo dawg

This might be a wide open question but I wanted to get some feelers out there before taring into this. Speed control lever is stuck on the auto 161, will not move forward or backwards. I didn't want to just start taking things apart without a plan or knowledge of the problem. Its my papy-n-laws and I'm stuck fixing it for him. I've never really experience any problems of this before.

What should I start with?

I know there's not a problem with the tranny it just in the linkage there where the lever ties into.

Sorry for not being around lately, I've been on other projects and pleasures, but I got to get back with the horses.

can whlvr

i have c160,im not sure if they are the same but if they are close ive had the steel ball slip out of the plastic cam,ive replaced the plastic cam a few times,and also it could be in the spring area and a shaft runs through it,u might have to take it apart,sometimes the shaft seizes and check the tab on the shaft,they can break off,first take off the gear shift plate to look in there,if its not the pump or trans then its not to serious,thats if its a sundstrand like my 1975

300zx

When mine stuck, it was the friction cone on the control lever where it crosses under the shift plate. I had to take all of the tension off of the spring and work it loose.

racinfool40

another quick check you can do to see if the pivot shaft is locked up is to take out the bolt that holds the pivot shaft in. It located on the left side sitting on the tractor and seeif the lever will move.. this was my case and still is i keep soaking it down with penetrating oil to free the shaft up..could be a number of possibilities.. just dig in an take your time and don't force anything! take the cover plate of like everyone has said and have a lookey.. :banghead:

300zx

I don't want to scare you with this comment, but my friction cone was stuck so bad, I couldn't get the pivot shaft out and had to cut the controls out of the center support so I could get to it to get it apart. Then I had to tack weld the control to left side of the cone where it had been wallowed out . (I had another center support is why I took the severe road.) As racinfool40 said, soaking it over time may get it loose, if that is the problem. The PO just left mine stuck for a long period of time and broke the cone set loose from its captured area to get it to work. That is why I had to tack weld it back on. I actually like this control better that what I have on the 520's. As said before, just take your time. Your will figure it out. If the friction cone set isn't turning inside itself, then try to get the pivot pin out, that will let you get the cone out.

bo dawg

Appreciate the help, I will try and see what it is thats in a bind and get back to you.

Thanks