Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Tecumseh 7 I don't get it..General Discussion

Docwheelhorse

Hello All---

so the daytime highs here in Wonderful Downtown Andover (sorry Sparky :ROTF: ) hasn't been above 20 degrees for several days and tonight they are talking maybe 10 BELOW in our area. Well why is it that these darn Tecumseh motors start on the first pull and purr like a kitten and run out fantastically in the frigid cold and the colder the better???? :thumbs: If I try and start the same engine in the middle of summer to keep it loose and happy the thing will get all cranky and not start or stumble and surge.... I have been running a HM70 all weekend to clear snow with a Trail Blazer and it was a pleasure.

Anybody have any thoughts on this out of curiosity???? :banghead:

Tony

wheelhorse656

i think he cooling design on the block and cylinder i no as good so the colder it is the less hot it gets making it runn better. there almost like a overheated car motor in the summer.

SkyhawkTL

Sounds like carb to me. The air is a lot more dense in winter and it sounds like the carb likes it. This summer, try a normal hot start and if it doesn't, take a plug reading. I'll bet it's wet.

Get the ignition solid first if it needs it, then concentrate on the main side of the carb. Great package - just need to twist the needles a bit. Good Luck.

can whlvr

i used to notice that on my toro 826 walk behind with a teccy,if it was 30 degrees it ran like crap,-20 and she just powered through the snow and no missing