Sign in to follow this  
haeffnkr

Case 44X vs C-160

haeffnkr

Hello,

I have a c-160, just got done bulldozing some snow today. Some day I plan to paint up this original tractor and get it shining a little. I like it and love all the fixed up, big AG tired, little front wheeled tractors on this site.

I searched long and heard and got the c-160.

But....spring is coming and I am getting the itch again to get something else.

I have always loved the big Case tractors and even test drove one or 2 before.

What are the pro and cons over a Case 44x vs C-160?

thanks Kevin

(hiding under the table)

rmaynard

Since this is a Wheel Horse site, I think I'm going to say... C-160

Rollerman

Both great garden tractors.

The Wheel Horse will be more economical in my opinion.

Belt driven to a 3 speed with reverse & a hi/lo gearbox.

A very simple to use & adjust PTO setup.

Parts for the Kohler engine in a C 160 are easy & affordable to come by.

The more popular attachments are still pretty plentiful used (snow blade, mower deck, snow blower, tiller, etc, etc.)

They are just simple & tuff machines with lots of power to spare with the Kohler 16HP.

The Case/Ingersoll 400 series tractors are nice too.

Large back tires give them a nice ride, all hydraulic drive, 2 speed tranmission (like the Horse), hydraulic lift & can use an optional hydraulic rear PTO for a tiller.

Some of them have the Kohler engines like the 442 & 444, the 446 & bigger used twin cylinder Onans.

Parts for the tractor & the implements are more expensive.

If your not familiar with hydraulic systems & how to maintain them you'll have to have it "shop" repaired if the need arises.

Take a look on ebay at both brands & you'll see or get a general idea the amount of stuff available or the number of items listed.

If I needed a simple trusty tractor & were planning on useing a variety of implements & service the tractor myself.... I'd go with the Wheel Horse.

If you plan to do mostly tilling I'd give the nod to the Case/Ingersoll.

The hydraulic drive tiller is a better setup (my opinion) & is reversible.

Also the Case/Ingersoll is available with an optional 3 point hitch.

Good luck with your decision.

T-Mo

I never owned either one of them. But I always wanted a Case big wheel tractor, like the 444. So, if I found both and could only get one and both were in the same condition, I would get the 444. :banghead:

But having said that, if I found both a 444 and a D-series Wheel Horse, I take the D-series.

To the original question regarding the 444 versus the C-160, you can get most features in other Wheel Horses, so that's one of the reasons why I would chose the 444. Now if we're talking a Case 222 or 220 and the C-160, I would chose the C-160 or another Wheel Horse for that matter.

haeffnkr

Rollerman - just a note, my c-160 is a hydro model. So supporting more hydro is would not be too hard.

From what little I have looked at, the case pto is a bad design and that is the biggest issue with that folks seem to have with them.

The big tires definately look cool on them and the factory 3 point is cool to.

I think the case's have dual hydraulic outputs too.

I was to remedy that on my c-160 by stacking on my hydro control valves.

What about the footprint of the tractors?

The case is maybe a few inches longer/wider?

Pushing snow is really all I do with the tractor right now and so far the c-160 does pretty well, with out weights.

thanks for the great replies.

Kevin

haeffnkr

Absolutely no linking to or reposting Craig's List or Ebay ads unless your own!

Kelly

Well I have both right now, first the WH is much more simple to work on, hands down, and will do about anything you ask of it, but I will say the Case is a beast, the 3 point is live with down pressure, and the monster hyd. tillers are very nice, most take just a few min. to make the narrower, or wider with a bolt on ext. the rev. feature is nice on the tiller, you can get many many attachments for them, the front engine mounted PTO is the biggest issue, but that is only used for mower decks and snow blowers.

WH tractors are cheaper to buy parts and attachments for, say a nice tiller for a WH I said nice, ready to use, NOT counting ALL the lift parts that mount on the tractor, will run $300-500 now a NICE Case tiller with the rear PTO to run it will $700-1000 I know I sold a few truck loads of case parts, they are beast, but cost alot.

Rollerman

From what little I have looked at, the case pto is a bad design and that is the biggest issue with that folks seem to have with them.

The PTO's on the Case/Ingersoll are a little more complicated & much more finicky.

They have to be dialed in "just right" to work properly.

The big tires definately look cool on them and the factory 3 point is cool to.

The big tires do look cool, they ride better too & the hy drives move along pretty fast in high range.

The cons...more expensive to replace, limited styles available, snow chains are really, really pricey for them.

I think the case's have dual hydraulic outputs too.

I was to remedy that on my c-160 by stacking on my hydro control valves.

The hydrostatic trans/pump on the Wheel Horse is more limited than the hydraulic pump/wheel motor of the Case/Ingersol.

You can stack the valves on the Wheel Horse as long as you don't go overboard with it's expectations.

Running independent mid & rear lift or a custom hyd blade angle would be about it.

With the Case/Ingersol you could run a front end loader, log spliter, hyd reversible PTO for the tiller, bush hog, or about anything with a ram or small hyd motor.

What about the footprint of the tractors?

The case is maybe a few inches longer/wider?

They are pretty close in size...the Case/Ingersol hy drives are a little longer.

Another thing to consider....

If you live in a hilly area the older Case tractors can run away from you on a down hill.

Later Case & all the Ingersol branded tractors had a limiting valve installed to keep free wheeling on down hills in check.

Pushing snow is really all I do with the tractor right now and so far the c-160 does pretty well, with out weights.

As far as bushing snow with the C 160?

Pretty hard to beat a C 160 hydro for plowing snow, especially if you have weights & tire chains.

Ken B

I currently have a C-160 Auto but I did have a Case 444. The Case is hands down the beast of the two! I plowed 20 inches of HEAVY WET snow with it with no problem at all, it could have easily handled more. When I was clearing the property I bought it easily pulled small trees out of the ground. I had the Case weights and chains on it. Out of all of the many tractors I have owned over the past 30 yrs. this is most beastly machine I have owned. Its also kinda cool ridin high with the tall tires on it. Word of CAUTION though as Rollerman states, if the 44x you are looking at does not have the down hill control valve it will free wheel and be quite the fright going down hill! It can be controlled going down hill if you are prepared. Myself and Stevebo can attest to that.

I must admit, if I had my choice out of the two as work tractors, I'd take the Case in this case! :banghead:

haeffnkr

Hello,

Thanks for all the great replies.

Looks like there is not a right or wrong answer between these 2 tractors.

The smaller, cheaper parts, easier to work on C-160 auto that I already have and works great in the snow or the BEAST, bigger wheels, heavy built, lots of hydro power more expensive Case that works better in the snow...

Wow... decisions decisions...

There was a 444 on CL the other day..... first time a looked in a long long time. Good looking shape, maybe one owner, with a blade and mower for $1000. That was probably a great deal.

thanks again Kevin

Kelly

Around here High wheeled cases bring in the $800 to $1500 with just a deck, if in good shape, much more if they are the Ingersoll those are nice, they have the built in valve so they don't run away down hills, some have power steering, they for the most part use a elect. clutch, but those models bring $2500 up.