Sign in to follow this  
64s

Trying To Date A B&S Engine

64s

I have an old Briggs engine, I think its between 1959 and 1963, but I'm not sure. I've searched the internet and can't seem to find any definite info. I'm hoping someone here has a page bookmarked that has the answer.

The model number is 143302

The Type is 502855

The serial number is 170655

Thanks!!!!

chris11

sounds like a 6hp briggs from 59 to 65 Thats the same engine i just rebuilt for my panzer tractor.

64s

Chris, I found out the same basic info, but was looking for specifics. I know with the newer models and the 'code' numbers, you can easily date an engine - Just no info on the older engines. :banghead:

TT

Try e-mailing the folks at Briggs & Stratton.

Sometimes they'll surprise you and actually have an answer! :banghead:

chris11

I do have a book with the 143302 in it. What info do you need?

chris11

From what i was told these engine were discontinued because of the early ones had a aluminum bore and a plated piston. And the plating would come off and kill the bore. The one i have was sleaved. I did get most of the parts from napa. There was a snow blower with the same engine on it to. snow bird snow blower.

64s

I'm just looking for a year of manufacture, and whatever else I could find. This came on a supposedly recently running tractor and when I got it, it was unbolted from the frame and the spark plug was removed - also the drive pulley was damaged. So I'm assuming either something went wrong with it or someone was going to use it elsewhere and gave up on that project. I'm going to mess with it in the next couple of weeks, but was curious as to its specs. Thanks, george

64s

John, Thanks, but I've been there. It seems this model is between the 'old' models and the 'new' models. All the info I've found is fairly general information. I've put in an e-mail to B&S as TT suggested - hopefully it will get me what I'm looking for. George