Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Got my first free tractor

nylyon

Well the ad said that there was a FREE tractor in New Milford (Yes Connecticut) with bagger and trailer, but she didn't know the brand. The woman said it was very old. Well I was really suprised to see her, about 33 years old and in pretty good shape, and good looking to boot. Now on to the tractor.... :D It's a Toro 8-32 RER with the bagger attachment. The owner told me that it would probably work, and it looked to be in VERY good condition for an RER, so on the trailer it went. Back to the shed to get the rest of the parts and the trailer (again in great shape) then home we go.

I unloaded the RER from the trailer and pushed it into the garage along with the rest of the accessories. Now to check it out. First, we'll check the compression to see how much work it will take to start. I pulled the cord, and it has GREAT compression, so I pulled it harder and VROOOOMMMMMM she fired right up! Stinks like lacquer (must have bad gas) so I shut it down, push it outside and start it up again.

I did a quick mowing of a small patch in the front yard, it is really just ready to work. Now it doesn't say Wheel Horse on it, but only because it's an 83, a couple years newer and it would have.

Pictures tomorrow, too dark for now!

Model Number 56138

Serial # 3000001 - 3999999

Model Year 1983

Product Name 8-32 Rear Engine Rider

Product Brand Toro

Product Type Riding Products

Product Series Rear Engine Rider, 32"

Swath 32 inch

Discharge Side

Engine/Motor Manufacturer Briggs & Stratton

Engine/Motor Size# 8 hp

Transmission Speed 5 Speed

Transmission Type Gear

nylyon

There is a similar one on eBay now, Item# 290170587044 to see what it looks like.

T-Mo

Karl,

Great score on the free rider. Rear engine riders have always intrigued me as they're just so cute and easy to operate. They're not good for large yards or aren't very stable on slopes, but they would compliment a larger tractor for the trim work. I can't wait to see the pictures.

nylyon

The plan was to get the RER for free, get it running, clean it up and sell it, or part it out. It is in too good shape to part out so it will get cleaned up. When my wife got home tonight, she saw it and thought it was "too cute to sell" and that we should keep it. My jaw almost hit the ground, never thought that combination of words would ever come out of her mouth in the same sentence....

:D

kj4kicks

Nice score Karl !

I bet if you woulda brought home the cute 33 y/o, the wife wouldn't have been so understanding (and you probably wouldn't have been able to keep it)..... they're funny like that..... Usually a cute 24 y/o will REALLY set them off (but not if it's a tractor).

Eldon.

kpinnc

Holy cow!

What are you feeding her?

Sounds like my wife needs to talk with your's. Maybe it's contagious... :D

CasualObserver

Get that in writing! :D:P :(

kpinnc

I'm just kidding. My wife got me a 701 for fathers day a couple years back. Blew my mind! :D

Of course, at the time it was number 3.... Now there are 7, and tomorrow?

Curmudgeon

33?

24????? ALMOST jailbait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to admit, while the boss, er, wife, hassles me about the Wheel Horses, she'll also say there a lot worse things I can do. Heck, she's even hauled some Wheel Horse stuff home for me. She had no clue other than Wheel Horse, but knew that was good enough!

Dale

nylyon

Almost forgot, the kids named it "Pikachu"

pikachu.jpg

T-Mo

Karl,

She just might also get hook on using the thing. Rear engine riders are so easy to operate and they can maneuver into the tightest spots so sounds like you got yourself a trim mower.

nylyon

We're supposed to get some pretty nasty storms today, but maybe they'll hold off until I get a little seat time out of this. I wanted to burn off the old gas and stick in some new to see how well it will run. From the looks of it out there now, doesn't look like there will be much RER time today, if any :D But you're right, it will make a good trim mower, although my wife thinks it will make a better go-kart.

nylyon

I got two laps in already woo hoo! This steers very easy and it has a totally different feel to it than the bigger guys do. I haven't looked at the blade yet, but I am sure that butter would give it a challange. It sure is interesting what a difference 10" will make with a mower deck. In just my 2 passes around, it would take a while longer to get the whole yard done compared to the 42" deck on the 400's. Makes me wonder what a 48" deck would do, but that would cut down on seat time.... decisions decisions........

nylyon

Well the mower runs great, but cuts lousy. I ran over a couple of leaves and they just kind of moved out the discharge chute. Well after fixing the trailer, I took a look at the blade. Never have I seen a worse blade than this one. The curved part is broken off of both sides of the blade, and it is so dull that it is just beating what ever it hits instead of cutting. Looks like it will need a blade then it will be all set to work properly. Everything else is pretty good for a 24 year old machine!

T-Mo

Karl,

Sounds like you got yourself a good little ride, if you choose to keep it that is. I guess it's off to the local Toro dealer for a new blade, huh?

nylyon

Nah, the Toro blade is going to be over $30.00, I just bought one on eBay for $12 with $8 shipping. Get it delivered right to my door and save $10 in the process.

Sparky

I think a rear engine rider is a great tractor for a kid to learn forward/ reverse/braking and steering skills. My son started out with a MTD rear engine rider with the deck removed. With no hood they have a nice clear view of whats in front of em.

Mike.....

nylyon

Brittany and Sean are already fighting over who's tractor it is and if it's Pikachu or James?

Curmudgeon

Nah, the Toro blade is going to be over $30.00, I just bought one on eBay for $12 with $8 shipping. Get it delivered right to my door and save $10 in the process.

And I wonder why Toro is abandoning these old models in favor of newer things people still buy from them.

Yes, I know genuine, original parts are expensive, but the fewer Toro sells, the less time they'll bother even messing with them, and will only get more expensive in the meantime.

Have I used non-genuine parts? Well duh, of course, sometimes you have to. But the next time we all get to lamenting about the demise of parts, remember, we all played a part in their passing.

Dale, being philosophical in Michigan

kj4kicks

....as my dealer has to head for the microfiche for 1077 parts, I am happy that for the most part, all of the maintenence items are still available ! Otherwise, aftermarket is all you can do.

My $.02.

Eldon.

nylyon

There are many "dealer" only parts which we will all need to purchase, but often these parts are way too expensive. Case in point, anyone buy a Wheel Horse seat from the dealer? These things cost upwards of $200, or more, where as the aftermarket seats are generally under $60. Being lazy I bought a spring clip which came in a Toro bag. It cost $2, where my hardware store has the exact same item for 18 cents.

I hope that Toro keeps the Wheel Horse "dealer item" parts in stock for quite some time, but financially, it makes more sense to buy aftermarket for many of the items, in this case the blade. I think that Toro discontinues many parts and then they hit the aftermarket, like decals. If it wasn't for reproductions we wouldn't have any at all.