Sign in to follow this  
KB9LOR

Question on Hyd?

KB9LOR

Got one for you guys(I may have asked before), but I am dreading having to take apart the hydro on my Electro 12 here is the background: I bought this knowing the hydro was weak, found a leaky hyd line from the lift cylinder to the back of the pump, replaced it, now got out playing on it and found out if I hold up on the lift handle I get power to do anything, then when I release it goes back to not being able to climb a slight hill, Is the lift cylinder in need of a rebuild? what's everyone's opinion? Thanks!

ol550

Sounds like a broken charge valve spring. The charge pump supplies hydraulic pressure to the lift and the spring keeps pressure to the hydro pump when not using the lift. Blocking the flow by holding the lift lever gives the hydro charge flow and pressure. :banghead: Mike

KB9LOR

Sounds like a broken charge valve spring. The charge pump supplies hydraulic pressure to the lift and the spring keeps pressure to the hydro pump when not using the lift. Blocking the flow by holding the lift lever gives the hydro charge flow and pressure. :banghead: Mike

I guess it is time to break out the manual on that hydro! thanks for the reply! It is much appreciated!

KB9LOR

Okay One more question, before I tear into the hydro, the manual states that the hyd system is "closed" and that if it leaks it will affect the hydro operation ie: movement problems. well got to going over it and it looks as though the lift cylinder is leaking, somewhat bad I might add, per the deck oily and grass stuck on the cylinder. How bad is it to rebuild the lift cylinder on a 69 electro 12? Or would it be better to buy one? your advice is much appreciated!

can whlvr

my c160auto is leaky but doesnt affect the performance of the pump,its not a really big leak but i too have oil on every thing as well,good luck on the tear down,the manual is very handy,when i tore mine apart the first thing i found was a broken retainer,unfortunatly mine was worse than just a retainer or spring 008-5.jpg

KB9LOR

well if I hold up on the lift valve handle, it moves just fine, but when I allow it to go to neutral position it goes to crap, I mean it will move, but if you hit a slight hill it won't hardly pull itself, that is why I think it may be the lift cylinder, bit I could be wrong,

KB9LOR

Okay everyone, have checked the Charge valve spring, seat, (The hex head bolt was loose retightened, helped some) everything okay, also checked the set screw(the one that comes loose don't remember the exact name) where you have to fish for it if loose. well mine was in there nice and tight, sooo it has got to be that lift cylinder thanks for everyones help!

WheelHorse_of_course

well if I hold up on the lift valve handle, it moves just fine, but when I allow it to go to neutral position it goes to crap, I mean it will move, but if you hit a slight hill it won't hardly pull itself, that is why I think it may be the lift cylinder, bit I could be wrong,

The leak in the cylinder can't be it since it is low in volume. However if the lift valve is continuously leaking fluid from the charge pump side to the low pressure side that would reduce the volume of fluid available for motion.

Not sure how to test that theory, but the fact that manipulating the valve makes a difference is a big clue.

I think I would try rebuilding (new o-rings) the valve would be worth a try before tearing apart the transmission.

Just MHO

Good Luck

:thumbs: :banghead:

KB9LOR

The leak in the cylinder can't be it since it is low in volume. However if the lift valve is continuously leaking fluid from the charge pump side to the low pressure side that would reduce the volume of fluid available for motion.

Not sure how to test that theory, but the fact that manipulating the valve makes a difference is a big clue.

I think I would try rebuilding (new o-rings) the valve would be worth a try before tearing apart the transmission.

Just MHO

Good Luck

:thumbs::banghead:

I have found a NOS lift cylinder for it(being the one on it is leaky), gonna get it and also get a rebuild kit for the lift control valve.

WheelHorse_of_course

Sounds like 'a plan'!

I love a plan.

Let us know how it goes.

:thumbs: :banghead:

KB9LOR

Sounds like 'a plan'!

I love a plan.

Let us know how it goes.

:thumbs::banghead:

Been told it could br the Hyd Valve causing the grief on the Electro, can the valve be rebuilt?

WheelHorse_of_course

I don't ever recall seeing anything about rebuilding the valves in the WH manuals, nor a parts list for them.

On the other hand it would seem likely they have O-rings that can be replaced.

One warning about testing hydraulic systems. Always use a piece of card board waved around the seals to check for leaks. Do NOT use your hands as high pressure oils sprays can cause nasty gangrene!

Best of luck.

KB9LOR

What year (or model) is she?

69 Electro 12...

KB9LOR

Okay everyone, recieved the "new" donor lift valve off a c-120, got it all hooked up. Took the horse out for a ride, everything seems to be working great! whew! also, am waiting on my "spare" original valve to arrive from a firend, and he does now carry rebuild kits for the pre-1973 Lift valves! Yeehaw!! Thanks Indy! Just thought I would update this thread with the Electro 12 Finally be fixed!