Sign in to follow this  

bent plow

today i notice that i needed a new cutting edge on my wheel horse plow, so i took the old one off and looking underneath the plow i realized it was badly rusted and damaged. so i went to our towns hardware store and bought 90 dregree agled steel peice hoping to just weld to the bottom to patch and stengthen it. but it will not lay right because the plow is not straight. :banghead:

does anyone have or has known of a plow that has bent?

does anyone have any suggestions to straighten?

PLEASE HELP...

.5racer

First of :banghead:

Second , where are you from .

A pic would help but a good press might be the ticket

Trouty56

I used a tree, a chain and a hydraulic jack on mine. Pushed the bottom middle in and pushed the top middle out. Kept working it and left the pressure on a bit. Looks really good now.

Kelly

Bare with me to see if I can explain this right, first take the plow head off, pull the two long pins so you just have the blade part, lay it on the ground face up, take a floor jack set in the middle of the blade, take a heavy chain, hook it to both ends of the blade, run the chain over the jack, make sure everything is secure, and pump the jack up, it will bend the blade, a bottle jack will work, or a porta power, but most people don't have them, with a porta power you could do this on the tractor, but the last two ways when you get pressure on them they could tip, just be VERY careful.

TT

:banghead:

I used the outrigger of a Case backhoe to straighten my 48" blade.

Face up on the pavement with a 4X4 under each corner and the outrigger pushing down in the middle of the blade worked pretty slick. :thumbs:

Cody

I actually just straightened my bent and twisted 54'' plow two days ago. I took a heavy tow chain and hooked it around the bucket on my John Deere loader, set the plow in the bucket so the bent half was sticking out the side,( in my case both sides were bent so i did half of the plow at a time) the chain is there so when against a tree the part of the plow that is in the bucket cant move outward. It worked good because i could tilt the bucket to catch the top of the blade to get the twist out then level the bucket to unbend it. Worked real good and only took a few minutes to do. sorry if its hard to read i was unsure of how to word it.

Duff

Bare with me to see if I can explain this right, first take the plow head off, pull the two long pins so you just have the blade part, lay it on the ground face up, take a floor jack set in the middle of the blade, take a heavy chain, hook it to both ends of the blade, run the chain over the jack, make sure everything is secure, and pump the jack up, it will bend the blade, a bottle jack will work, or a porta power, but most people don't have them, with a porta power you could do this on the tractor, but the last two ways when you get pressure on them they could tip, just be VERY careful.

Dang, Kelly - I think you just told me how to straighten a kinked side rail on my :hide: trailer! Never thought of the jack and chain route - great tip!

:ROTF:

Duff :banghead: :thumbs:

Kelly

Just remember hyd. jacks only operate setting up right, a floor jack don't work very good on it's side, I've used my big old jack, and my car hauler as a frame machine to fix my race cars.