Sign in to follow this  
Anglo Traction

Wheel Studs n Nuts

Anglo Traction

Have been checking out these cost wise and availability.... Found sources of H.T. Grade 'S' Hex Set Screws Zinc Plated priced per unit.

Chrome Acorn Closed Nuts priced per 20.

Should cost about

Anglo Traction

Hi Chas, Thanks !. It was in fact your post that provided the inspiration :banghead: . So I looked into the availability here in England.

Costs here are double for your $. Bolts are reasonable if you can find the right size and Thread Form.

As for the Acorn Nuts, I look to your side of the pond, it's cheaper to 'Ship In' !.

It's not even cost effective to make and heat treat my own.

I need to replace the Acorn Bolts on my C120 (below my standard) anyway, so converting to these solves 2 problems for me.

That leaves me with a full spare set to use on the Raider 12 if I want.

Thanks again, Regards

neil

Hi Richard

what do these bolt look like

and why do you need to change them?

Anglo Traction

what do these bolt look like

and why do you need to change them?

Hi Neil, They are Hex Headed type Bolts that are Threaded along the whole Length.

HT = High Tensile and Grade 'S' is the equivilent to Grade 8.8 and rated at 50-55 tons tensile strength. They're to replace my Stud Bolts which are no good and I don't want to mess up my expensive new/good Hubs. See Chas' link above.

The new ones will be screwed and bonded in from the back of the Hub , so the threaded part protrudes (same as your car wheel studs). This allows you to fit the wheel over the Studs and secure with Nuts (easier), rather than try and hold the wheel and get the Bolt started in the Hub Threads. The Nuts are Closed End and Chromed (keeps the C**p out of the Threads).

I hopefully got some Goodys showing up in the Post soon (from the West and the East ) . I may suffer from Delivery withdrawals after those, so these bits will fill the void and feed my temporary habit while the Weather is S*** .

Regards , Richard.

Stigian

It's not even cost effective to make and heat treat my own.

Wow!!! you have some serious engineering skills there Richard if you'd even consider making your own nuts :banghead:

Anglo Traction

Wow!!! you have some serious engineering skills there Richard if you'd even consider making your own nuts

I 'Dabble' in the Art Ian. No formal Training or 'Qualies', but enjoy the practical side of working with metals and learning about their uses and properties. It keeps me off the Streets and out of the Pub (mostly) :banghead: . Also, with these :thumbs: s, I have more use for my Late Fathers old Imperial tools and equipment.