Sign in to follow this  
LuckyJohn

414-8 Having problems going places

LuckyJohn

I just picked this up from a neighbor who I have seen before drive it around, well I drove it home 2 weeks ago it seemed a little on the slow side in High gear. I let it sit for a week or and went out to the barn to start working on it (change oil, give a good look over, etc.) and got it started and it would not move at all forward and very little in reverse. Well I looked at the fluid in the rear-end and it seemed to have some water in it, with the temperature here turning to the freezing side would that water in the rear-end prevent the gears from turning correctly or I also notice the drive belt looked like it might be loose. I am going to drain and flush out the rear-end and refill with fresh oil (what would be the correct gear oil for a 414-8?) and see what that does. Any other suggestions on what to look for would be great.

Thanks

John

Forest Road

Change the drive belt and hold on tight. It'll break the wheels loose in third high. 90w gear lube 2 qts.

LuckyJohn

Thanks for the info, does anybody have the part number for the drive belt? Is it part number 93-9808?

WH854

If it is below freezing, I would put in a heated place an let it thaw out first :banghead:

Chas

WH854

Drive belt P/N 108501 or P/N 7473 :banghead:

Chas

Irv

As WH854 said, get the rear end warm or it will take forever to drain. I wait til it's mostly drained and then stick an air hose in the fill hole and blow the rest out. I would also make sure the gear oil is at least at room temp. It's a slow process getting it refilled. You might also want to make sure the keys in the axles aren't sheared.

rusty1

also john check to see if your tractor has what i call a velvet touch clutch this is a small shock lhat lets the clutch out slowly so it dont throw you off the back.if that shock goes bad it wont let the belt engage properly causing it to slip.also make sure the spring that hooks up to the clutch arm and rear end isnt broke as well good luke and enjoy your tractor

LuckyJohn

Getting the tractor warm does make a lot of sense to me, since the neighbor that I got it off of drove it around during the fall and never seem to have any problem with it. I had a guy tell me that once I drain the old fluid out of it to add diesel fuel to it and let it flush out the rear end that away; then add the gear oil to it, What do you think of that idea. I will have have to wait until spring to be able to get it warmed up due to I have no way to heat in my barn. I did order a new drive belt last night for it, so I will check everything that has been mentioned plus change the oil, and then add the new belt. After all of that I might have to put a wheelie bar on it. :banghead:

can whlvr

yes thats a good way to clean the tranny,i would flush it out,put new oil,about 2 quarts,run for a while and get it real warm and channge it again,its only 4 quarts all in all

bitten

One thing you can do is use a heat lamp or shop light to warm the tranny up. This will also help in the oil draining.

LuckyJohn

One thing you can do is use a heat lamp or shop light to warm the tranny up. This will also help in the oil draining.

I will try this idea, I found about 3 pc of 2" thick 4'x'8 sheets of insulation that I will make a small enclosed area around the back of the mower and put a heat lamp on it. This should help keep everything warm.