Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Snow Tires

mattd860

Turf tires plus chains & weights just aren't cutting it, especially in the snow. I have a two-fold problem. 1) My driveway is made up of very loose pebble gravel that is about 5" deep. 2) I only weight 150lbs!!!.

Adding more weight does help a little bit and I have a Ber-Vac weight bar coming in the mail any day now. But I need more bite to go along with the added weight.

I did a quick ebay search for 23x8.50-12 tires and all I found as more turf tires and Ag tires.

I like Ag tires a lot and I think they will be the best for the non-snowy periods but what about the snow? Are there better options?

I would like some better tire type options and size options. If you tell me "ATV" tire, then please give me the recommended size as well so I know what to look for.

Thanks!

littleredrider

I have a set of 18" ags on my lawn ranger with a plow, and could not believe what I was pushing!!!! The landlord must be still half drunk/asleep when he plows, he doesn't push the snow past the edge of the driveway. So for bout an hour yesterday I pushed what he didn't.

Some of the piles were the same height as the tractor, and it pushed it. Needless to say I was impressed.

Had no chains or extra weight, I only weigh 175# or so....

stevebo

Try the turfs and let lower the tire pressure with the chains. Do you have 2 link or 4 link chains and are they V bar or not? If you are unsure pm me and I will explain.

mattd860

Try the turfs and let lower the tire pressure with the chains. Do you have 2 link or 4 link chains and are they V bar or not? If you are unsure pm me and I will explain.

They aren't v-bar chains. Not sure what you mean by 2 or 4 link chains though.

mr.pipes

I would think that AG's might be better if you are digging into the loose gravel. Then a grader blade in the spring time. What about allowing some hard pack to accumulate on top of the gravel?

harleyjj

I run ags and with 50# wheel weights on each wheel and my 240# arse in the seat it is almost unstoppable in the snow

stevebo

Matt,

4 link chains simply means there are 4 actual links between the cross chains that go over the tire (across) and the 2 link is just 2 chain links between the cross chains. To say it another way, 4 links give you 50% less cross chains vs the 2 link which gives you 50% less tractor imo. Best traction would be 2 link V bar chains :banghead:

spark949

Matt,

4 link chains simply means there are 4 actual links between the cross chains that go over the tire (across) and the 2 link is just 2 chain links between the cross chains. To say it another way, 4 links give you 50% less cross chains vs the 2 link which gives you 50% less tractor imo. Best traction would be 2 link V bar chains :banghead:

Here..take a look it shows the difference.

http://www.tirechain.com/Garden-Tractor-V-BAR-Chains.htm

http://www.tirechain.com/VBAR.htm

mattd860

Looks like I have 2-link NON V bar chains.

P1010710.jpg

Forest Road

Wait until you get that weight rack installed and then let us know. 100lbs cantilevered off the back will do more than 100lb wheel weights.

mattd860

Ok I'll let you know. A guy here at work uses ags and chains year round so I will probably keep my eyes out for a good deal on some.

sgtsampay

I'm tring out 25x10x12 ATv ITP Mud Lites and I will see how those work out.

After reading several olders threads about them on Mytractorforum, I think they will be great in the snow.

They are also a little cheaper or the same price as AGs but they look cooler IMHO. :banghead:

After the first snow, i will let you know how they work..

B-8074

I'm running 23x8.50x12 Ag tires loaded with washer fluid and no chains. They have about 60lbs. of fluid in each tire and I was in some deep snow and loose gravel plowing up hill with no problems.

defed

i've only ever used turfs and 4-link chains w/ my snowblower tractors (wheel weights, 3pt tiller, and my 150 lbs for weight on each). granted they are a C-195 and D-160, so maybe the added weight of the machine makes a difference. never had a problem, but then i leave a layer of snow to freeze so i don't dig in. i do on occasion get too far into the unblown areas and get nearly buried, but have always managed to power out.

when i moved to the D, there seemed to be huge difference (improvement) in handling on the larger tractor...even tho i never had any real problems on the the C.

KC9KAS

I have turf tires, 4 link tire chains and windsheild washer fluid in the tires. Tires weigh 85# each (170# + me=300#). I never had a bit of trouble pushing a "full" plow of snow up a steep grade...654 tractor.