Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

417-8 Hood

zieg72

My 86 417-8 has the louvered hood. Was this necessary for cooling the 17 Kohler or something Toro did when they bought Wheel Horse.

I know, again poor me.... but the reason I ask is I have the winter cab on the 417-8 with the louvered hood and I don't get any heat like I did when the same cab was on my 520H last year.

Just wondering if anyone knew because the 85 417 didn't have the louvers in the hood as I understand it to be.

TT

It was superficial decoration.

My '86 312A had the louvered hood and certainly didn't need it. I wasn't really fond of how the louvers allowed water to get all over everything under the hood either. :banghead:

zieg72

Thanks TT, I was thinking about making something like a cowl induction type scoop to cover up the louver and extend it back to where it would heat the cab but hopefully not gas me out.

I was just out in the shed and my 520H has the same louvers, the Onan must give off more heat that the Kohler, still may try the hood scoop on it it though...

Operator

The hood on "our" 520/516 has them and I ty wraped a piece of plastic hardboard underneth to keep snow/water off motor. Even thinking of adding a side panel. Blowing snow to the left it will start to spurter.

Randy

truckin88

weren't the louvers because the motors had air intakes on top??

zieg72

Maybe on the Onans but the Kohlers draw from below either warmer air off shrouding for winter or spin the air cleaner lid around for summer use.

Kelly

I've been meaning to buy a magnet like they use for door signs, to cover the lovers on my 520 hood in the winter

Operator

I've been meaning to buy a magnet like they use for door signs, to cover the lovers on my 520 hood in the winter

Great idea Kelly!! I have some of that here, Thanks for the idea :banghead:

Randy

smoreau

:thumbs: I really like that idea, simple and very affective :banghead:

TT

That was only for the vertical-shaft models.

The garden tractors had them there just for looks.