Sign in to follow this  
Tee

k181 carb

Tee

well, i got the engine together button up, carb rebuilt . now it wants to start but carb is floodin. where in the heck did i go wrong? theres 2 air adjusting screws. have i got those turned to far in out sideways lol. thanks :banghead:

dirty larry

try both screws to 1 and 1/4 turns

also your float should be down about 5/8 of an inch

try that

dirty larry

TT

carb is floodin

Define, please.

Is gas running out of the air cleaner side of the carburetor?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Preliminary mixture screw settings are 1

Tee

carb is floodin

Define, please.

Is gas running out of the air cleaner side of the carburetor?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Preliminary mixture screw settings are 1

TT

Remove the carburetor and the float bowl, then remove the float & needle.

Shake the float to make sure it doesn't have any gas inside.

Make sure the tip of the needle is clean and not deformed and spray some carb cleaner (or a least some compressed air) into the needle seat in the carb body.

Reinstall the needle/float and hold the carb completely upside-down. The float should be parallel to the sealing area of the float bowl.

You can set the float with an 11/64" drill bit between it and the carb body (opposite side from the hinge) or you can use a float gauge too, but generally having the float parallel with the carb body will be fine.

Reassemble everything else and give it a try - but make sure you have a good inline filter and gas line that's not deteriorating on the inside. One spec of "crud" will keep the float needle from seating.

d180man

Remove the carburetor and the float bowl, then remove the float & needle.

Shake the float to make sure it doesn't have any gas inside.

Make sure the tip of the needle is clean and not deformed and spray some carb cleaner (or a least some compressed air) into the needle seat in the carb body.

Reinstall the needle/float and hold the carb completely upside-down. The float should be parallel to the sealing area of the float bowl.

You can set the float with an 11/64" drill bit between it and the carb body (opposite side from the hinge) or you can use a float gauge too, but generally having the float parallel with the carb body will be fine.

Reassemble everything else and give it a try - but make sure you have a good inline filter and gas line that's not deteriorating on the inside. One spec of "crud" will keep the float needle from seating.

Hi i would do the same ! :banghead: :thumbs:

Tee

well, i got the engine together button up, carb rebuilt . now it wants to start but carb is floodin. where in the heck did i go wrong? theres 2 air adjusting screws. have i got those turned to far in out sideways lol. thanks :banghead:

ok i`m back, i got it to run sounds good no rattlin or knocks. but the carb has issues. i bet a pulled that thing off 6 times i have adjusted the float dronp to near nuthin thats the only way it will run, but i`m still gettin gas coming out airfiler side and it seems to be exhausting the back thru the carb now this is weird. what ne3xt fellers i`m lost again :thumbs:

TT

Try another float needle & seat. (did you keep the old parts?)

It might also be wise to pull the main jet needle out of the carb (the adjustable one that screws straight down into the carb) and inspect the pointed end for damage.

How well did you clean this carb?

Tee

Try another float needle & seat. (did you keep the old parts?)

It might also be wise to pull the main jet needle out of the carb (the adjustable one that screws straight down into the carb) and inspect the pointed end for damage.

How well did you clean this carb?

i`m on my second rebuilb kit, carb was cleaned good with carb with cleaner and blew it out checked all the needles all good. im thinkin now something may be wrong with the carb in other places. other thani can acess, i saw a bran new one on eby i may buy it. thanks

Kelly

Did you ever check the float?? make sure it don't have a hole and filled with gas??

Tee

Did you ever check the float?? make sure it don't have a hole and filled with gas??

yepper new float too. i`m afraid if i keep crankin i`ll have to buy a new starter. this b80 is nickel and dime me, oh well i dont have a wife anymore so its just me so i`l l just keep spendin on this till its done. thanks

puddlejumper

I know you said you have cleaned and blew it out but check the orifice on the underneath of carb oppsite the float valve it starts there and comes out at the top of the throat of the carb towards the front. It will flood like crazy if its clogged. Blow air or carb cleaner through it. Just make sure it is clear.

Tee

well i think i need a carb, it wont run past 1200 rpms full throttle. i`m curious does the #22 indicate the carb size and is it correct? and wont even run when in gear.dies. seekin more advice please. :banghead:

TT

~Was this engine completely apart?

~Is the cam/crank timing correct?

~Have you tried adjusting the point gap one way or the other?

~Did you try setting the ignition timing with a timing light?

~Is the wiring on the ignition coil connected properly? (power wire to the + side / points lead & condenser lead to the - side)

~Is the valve clearance correct?

A #22 Carter N carb is correct for a K181

smoreau

yepper new float too. i`m afraid if i keep crankin i`ll have to buy a new starter. this b80 is nickel and dime me, oh well i dont have a wife anymore so its just me so i`l l just keep spendin on this till its done. thanks

sound like this b80 is acting like your x-wife :banghead::thumbs: hope you get it running though. tt's advice should get you there. good luck :hide: :ROTF:

Tee

~Is the wiring on the ignition coil connected properly? (power wire to the + side / points lead & condenser lead to the - side)

thanks for the advice, i`l try that today. yes engine was torn apart and rebuilt by me. step by step, the time marks right on. time ligt no.and i think since this b80 was all cobbed up on the wiring i may have that backwards, well not me the guy who had it b4 me. again thanks i`ll go thru this again :banghead:

Tee

Finally back at it, i tore the engine back down and everything is good, valve clearance, timin marks, points dead on. i`m told that there is a diaprham spring thats supposed to be in the carb bowl? that mine dont have. i think my carb is missin parts. thanks

rmaynard

It's nice to learn how things work, and to be able to say that you fixed it. But then there comes a time when the law of diminishing returns takes over. I once thought that there wasn't a Carter carb that I couldn't fix. When I was young, my dad had 3 or 4 Gravely mowers with Kohler engines. They all had Carter carbs and I could tune those engine with my eyes closed. I rebuilt the carbs for them and for friends and neighbors. But I had one that no matter what I did, it refused to work. It was truly the carburetor from hell.

After you buy that new carburetor, and the old B-80 purrs like a kitten, you'll kick yourself in the pants for not doing it sooner.

Just my two cents worth for today.

Tee

It's nice to learn how things work, and to be able to say that you fixed it. But then there comes a time when the law of diminishing returns takes over. I once thought that there wasn't a Carter carb that I couldn't fix. When I was young, my dad had 3 or 4 Gravely mowers with Kohler engines. They all had Carter carbs and I could tune those engine with my eyes closed. I rebuilt the carbs for them and for friends and neighbors. But I had one that no matter what I did, it refused to work. It was truly the carburetor from hell.

After you buy that new carburetor, and the old B-80 purrs like a kitten, you'll kick yourself in the pants for not doing it sooner.

Just my two cents worth for today.

thats what i`m gonna do get a carb. and its been too cold even with 3 heaters in a un insulated garage :thumbs:

Tee

Ah ha! i knew it. after battling this carb some knuckle head way b4 me has been in there and parts are missin. i got to viewing parts illustrations and missin main metering jet hahahaha. :thumbs: