Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Difficulty Shifting into Hi-Range

mattd860

My 418-8 works flawlessly but I am noticing lately that it is difficult to switch from lo to hi range. Obviously, when I switch ranges, the shifter is in neutral and the machine is completely stopped. When shifting from hi to lo range, the lever moves quickly and shifts on the first try. But when shifting from lo to hi, I have to make at least 5-6 attempts and then it will easily 'pop' into place. I never force the range selector when it won't go into hi range for fear of the weak selector fork.

Does any of this indicate a problem or a potential future problem?

Does it sound like a worn but 'not yet broke' selector fork?

Duff

Matt, it sounds like the range selector fork may indeed be getting worn or may have gotten slightly bent. Your description of how you are shifting indicates you are doing things exactly right, so I don't think it's "operator error". Chances are with a little "TLC" you'll get by for a while longer before you need to split the tranny.

One tip - when you go to shift into hi range, try easing it in while you rock the tractor back and forth (as in front to back, not sideways) with your body weight. From my experience, sometimes just a fraction of an inch is all it takes to get the gears to line up inside.

~Duff :banghead:

mattd860

Thanks Duff. You've confirmed what I thought. I don't normally shift between hi and lo range but yesterday I was using the snow thrower and needed to use lo range first gears and hi range reverse. Really wish I had a hydro but I really got used to it after a while.

Duff

I see from your signature you're from eastern CT - bet the snow thrower got a really healthy workout yesterday!

Duff!

mattd860

Yeah the thrower was invaluable. I started with the plow but got a few feet out of the garage and got stuck. Switched to the thrower and it was unstoppable (but I had to remove the thrower side wings).

I felt bad for the old Kohler M18. It ran at max rpm for over 7 hours yesterday :banghead:

mattd860

Is #59 (Part number 7209) the shift fork that commonly wears?

80R10008.gif

dgjks6

yep, its number 59

I think I photographed the entire rebuild process somewhere. Its not hard work, but it will take half a day to do it.

mattd860

yep, its number 59

I think I photographed the entire rebuild process somewhere. Its not hard work, but it will take half a day to do it.

Yeah I skimmed through your write-up. Very good info! Is it possible to easily change the range selector fork without taking all the other internals apart?

dgjks6

Hmm, never thought about it. I am not sure. But in reality removing and replacing the gears takes about 5 minutes. The only semi difficult part is the balls and springs b/n the shifter forks...

and you have to get one hub off.