Sign in to follow this  
treepatrol

steps for removing a starter off 310-8

treepatrol

Does anybody have the steps for removing a starter off of a 310-8?

I started to lastnight but only got 3 bolts undone before fingers froze. :banghead:

So thats the reason iam asking is there a MANUAL WITH THIS IN? tHE FASTER I CAN DO THIS THE BETTER.

Thanks pics or steps or both would be highly appreciated:) :thumbs:

TT

Once you unhook the cable, three bolts should be all that holds the starter to the engine. (normally)

The L bracket (brace) bolt and/or nut and the two bolts on the end cap of the starter should be all you need to remove.

Keep a good hold on the starter when you go to pull it out.... those bolts on the end cap go all the way through the starter and actually hold it together. Be careful with those long bolts - they have a tendency to twist off.

treepatrol

1. Terry on mine the oil stick tube is right up against it do i need to take that off? its only about 1/2to1/4 inch away.

2. Also if i need to remove the tube any suggestions?

3. Also thats it just the 3 long bolts?

4. I dont have to remove the shoud that covers the motor at all?

TT

If the dipstick tube keeps you from accessing the bolt(s) at the end of the starter, you will have to remove the three bolts that secure the tube to the engine block. If you're very careful, you might be able to save the gasket. Apply a light coat of gasket sealant when reinstalling.

There is no need to remove any of the shrouds or covers on the engine.

Just the two long bolts lengthwise through the starter motor and one bolt on the brace.

Manual (in .pdf): LINK

Duff

TT's probably going to beat me to typing a reply, but here goes anyway.... :banghead:

If it's the Magnum engine you will (or at least I''ve had to) take off the dip stick tube to back the bolts off enough to get the starter out. I don't think you need to remove the shround (I've only pulled my starters with the shroud already off, but I didn't see any mechanical connection preventing removal). Taking off the shroud is also a good way to cehck the condition of the ring gear on the flywheel as well as any gunk or debris that may have built up behind the shroud.

TT is very right on being careful to keep a good hold on the starter - it will disassemble itself very quickly if you don't! :ROTF:

Duff :thumbs:

Duff

Yup, TT beat me to it! :thumbs:

Duff :banghead:

treepatrol

Thanks Terry and Duff and thanks for the link too!! I appreciate it!! :banghead:

treepatrol

Iam assuming I have to drain the oil too???

TT

The oil level should be just below the block to pan seam, so you shouldn't have to drain it at all.

treepatrol

Thanks Terry! & good hahaha :thumbs: :banghead:

treepatrol

:ROTF: Well she's back together and its working needed a bushing everything else is working now Thanks Terry & Duff! :banghead:

One thing i would like to mention is that uopu do not need to unplug the wiring harness located just under the starter. If you do remember to plug it back together or after you start it it wont shut off my mistake hahahahhaa! :thumbs:

How to disassemble.

1. unhook battery.

2.remove plate screws that arewear shifters are 4 of them this lets youaccess the next number 3.

3. take sideplate that covers belt that runs to rear hookups this gives you access to bolts on oil tube mount and starter.

4. After this you can remove starter power wire from starter tape up for storage.

5. Then remove bolt on mount for starter screws into frameing.

6. Then remove starter being carefull while pulling out that it dosent come completely apart disassembling starter , you have to sort of wiggle it up and back as you remove.

To install reverse order BUT first run one complete pass around starter with black elctrical tape on both sides this will hold it together for reinstalling starter.

USE link below for .

PDF:help:

Duff

Glad it went well for you!

Duff :banghead:

treepatrol

Thanks Duff! :banghead: :thumbs: