Sign in to follow this  
Confused99

2 Stage Let Me Down

Confused99

The 2 stage blower has worked very well all last year and up until yesterday this year. I have blown ALOT of snow with it. Yesterday, we got a few inches, nothing to be worried about. Made a pass down my driveway. Went on to do the neighbors and another neighbors drives. Came back to mine and had to park it to pickup my oldest from school. Came back, jumped on it, engaged the PTO. Started in on my 2nd pass and made it 3 feet and then nothing? Belts moving, auger and blower not moving. Looked closer briefly and seen the shaft on the gear box spining inside the chain sprocket. Must have sheared the key off. Not too bad IMO for all the snow it has blown. I finished with the Toro single stage walk behing. It's the smallest gas powered one so it took a few passes :banghead: Good thing it wasn't a big storm. Anyone else have this happen? Seems like an odd thing to fail. I can think of many other points of failure before this one. The tensioner block on the chain is pretty worn and I'm sure the chain is worn.

Jason

Operator

It is scrap now , I'll be up to get it off your hands, Buddy :banghead:

No shear pins? Gear box?

Use it as trading fodder? Another :thumbs:

Randy

Confused99

Lol, I figured you would be happy to pick the POS up :banghead: I havn't pulled it apart yet to see what the problem truely is. Again, I'm sure a new key will fix the problem. Just hoping it didn't mess up the shaft.

Jason

Operator

Oh the shaft is shot too! Along with the gears, It's bad really bad :thumbs:

As long as I'm coming up to scrap it I'll bring the 520 :banghead:

Randy

Confused99

Maybe I could just borrow the gear box off your 2 stage for the rest of the winter :banghead:

C-160 Tractor

Maybe I could just borrow the gear box off your 2 stage for the rest of the winter :thumbs:

hahaha..

Sorry to hear that man let us know when you find out what it is. So we can all watch out for it in the future.

:banghead:

Operator

Maybe I could just borrow the gear box off your 2 stage for the rest of the winter :banghead:

Buddy Buddy Buddy

My son has it for winter, otherwise "no problem!"

Randy

Confused99

Maybe I could just borrow the gear box off your 2 stage for the rest of the winter :thumbs:

hahaha..

Sorry to hear that man let us know when you find out what it is. So we can all watch out for it in the future.

:banghead:

Will do. Hopefully I will have a chance this weekend.

Confused99

Buddy Buddy Buddy

My son has it for winter, otherwise "no problem!"

Randy

:thumbs:

Confused99

Got a chance to look into the blower. It ended up being the auger shaft and not the gear box shaft. Looks like the set screw that holds the key came out. Then the key made it's way out. Less than $1 and she's back in service (sorry Operator :banghead: ) I also added something else....anybody see it :thumbs: lol

IMAG0249.jpg

Operator

That really nice seat cover? :banghead:

Looks good Jason.

The wife caught on to my plan!

Randy

HankB

... I also added something else....anybody see it :banghead: lol

Heated seat? Sweet!

What tractor is that on? The hood has louvers like a 520H but the engine looks like a K series. That blower looks HUGE! I can see why you need wheel weights. Otherwise if you go to lift it, the rear wheels probably come off the ground!

Confused99

That really nice seat cover? :banghead:

Looks good Jason.

The wife caught on to my plan!

Randy

Thanks! I think it will work out great.

Hope your wife isn't too mad. At least your garage is heated :thumbs:

Confused99

... I also added something else....anybody see it :banghead: lol

Heated seat? Sweet!

What tractor is that on? The hood has louvers like a 520H but the engine looks like a K series. That blower looks HUGE! I can see why you need wheel weights. Otherwise if you go to lift it, the rear wheels probably come off the ground!

No heated seat although that is a great idea.

The other mod is the tractor. I was running the big blower on my Raider 12 and picked up this tractor Sunday night. It is a 520H with a transplanted 16hp Kohler "shaker" I bought it from Operator (Randy) Thanks again!

Operator

Surprisingly no she isn't too upset! And I'm glad the two-stage wasn't a major repair.

Randy

PS I told Zieg72 what I did.

Confused99

Surprisingly no she isn't too upset! And I'm glad the two-stage wasn't a major repair.

Randy

That's good to hear.

So does that make me the 3rd forum member to own this tractor? lol

Jason

zieg72

Randy

That's good to hear.

So does that make me the 3rd forum member to own this tractor? lol

Jason

Cool, keep it in the family that way. I bought it in Rockford, motor-less but with a deck. I think it was posted on CL but the guy I bought it from said he was a member here so you may be RS owner #4... Enjoy it!!! I enjoyed putting it together from the C-165 the K341 came from.

Confused99
Surprisingly no she isn't too upset!

zieg72

I would be curious on the fuel consumption versus the 20hp Onan. I will make another when I find my next one. It was a fun project and a little bit of a challenge to get the wiring melded in to get the hour meter/gas gauge and voltmeter to work with the C-165 wiring loom. Best part of that tractor was how easy the steering was because the K341 weighed less that the Onan...

Confused99

Ya, it will be interesting. My old 520 with the Onan liked fuel. I think you did a great job with it. I have some minor plans for it this summer. I can't take it down right now incase we get some snow. I will make a post with the work when the time comes.