B-8074

It just shuts off

B-8074

Was plowing last night with no problems and most off the day today. Went back out after a short break and she fired right up. Then turned on the lights and she quite. I checked the fuses and they are ok. Waited a few minutes and she started again just to shut off a few minutes later. What the heck is up? Any ideas? :banghead::thumbs: :ROTF:

Tim

have you checked the plug that goes connects into the ignition switch?

went through this on my C141

ended up putting a new plug on it

B-8074

Checked it all and found nothing loose and no broken wires. It starts up but when you turn the lights on it shuts off. Then you have to wait a few minutes and it will start again.

TT

Don't turn on the lights. :thumbs::banghead:

Check the wires at the ammeter. You might even want to try bypassing it altogether - just as a test.

B-8074

Now that you mention it I did notice condensation on the inside of the ammeter. You think it's that simple?

But what is the reason it has to sit a few minutes before it will start again? Is there some kind of thermal fuse that has to reset?

TT

I'm only guessing - since that's usually the weakest link between the battery and the ignition switch.

The only other thing would be the ignition switch itself, but the delay doesn't really make sense - unless the rectifier/regulator is malfunctioning. :banghead:

puddlejumper

Don't turn on the lights. :thumbs::banghead:

Doc it hurts when I do this :ROTF:

Ken B

Yes it could be as simple as the amp meter. My C-160 just this past week crapped out a few times on me, yes as soon as I turned the lights on also. After sitting for awhile it would fire up again. A few nights ago I jiggled around the amp meter wires very ligjhtly under the dash while it was running and it died instantly. After putting on a new connector she is now good to go with no issues.

B-8074

Just wanted to say thanks. It turned out to be the terminals on the back of the amp meter. Had another one so I swapped it out. The ignition switch worked but had a new one of those to, and I replaced it also. She fired right up and the lights worked to :banghead: . I do have one question. The needle on the amp meter stays in the middle except when I first start it up, Is that normal? The old one did the same thing.

theoldwizard1

Just wanted to say thanks. It turned out to be the terminals on the back of the amp meter.

You can probably clean them up with a small wire brush.

Any electrical terminal that is not complete sealed from moisture will corrode over time, some just faster than other depending on the type of metal.

All unsealed connections should have a coat of silicon dielectric grease applied to prevent corrosion. For added insurance, about once every year or so, clean off the old grease and reapply new.

I do have one question. The needle on the amp meter stays in the middle except when I first start it up, Is that normal? The old one did the same thing.

Needle in the middle means you aren't charging or discharging, which is exactly where you want to be. With the engine off, turn your headlights on. The meter should show discharging. Wait about 5-10 minutes and then start the engine. The meter should show charging as the energy you drained from the battery is being replaced.