Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

C-101 8-speed - No Forward or Reverse

mattd860

My dad called me today and informed me that his C-101 8-speed will not move. The transmission shifts into all gears just fine but when he releases the clutch, the tractor will not move. I know the belt is still in-tact and working because he says if he tries to shift without using the clutch, the gears will grind as normal.

He also says that using the brake no longer does anything. He was rolling it down a slight incline into the basement and tried to use the brake but the tractor never stopped.

Also - the tractor can be pushed around even when in gear.

What might be the problem???

TT

The first thing I would check would be the woodruff keys in the axles/hubs.

dgjks6

As a bored at work transmission expert (after all I have rebuilt a total of 1 transmission) I am willing to give you my opinion.

Even though the belt seems fine, I would start at the beginning and check everything. I can't picture what is broken inside the trans that would give you all of those symptoms without major damage inside unless something happened to both axles at the same time. Hopefully someone her will say - oh - just replace this pin...

But back to the problem.

Even in gear you will be able to push the tractor, just really slow depending upon the gear.

The brake not working may be a problem and may not. I have found that on many wheel horses they are not adjusted properly becasue these tractors slow down and seem to stop on level ground just with the clutch, but that is another topic.

I would start by lifting the rear and. Removing the R rear tire, removing the beltguard and footrest on the Right side and inspecting the belt and all the pulleys.

If that does not work off comes the transmission.

JimD

Isn't there also a woodruff key in the drive pulley? Check and see if the pulley turns but the shaft doesn't.

TT

There is a key in the drive pulley, but the brake would still work if that one was sheared.

stevasaurus

I'm going with TT on this one...almost has to be the keys in the wheel hubs. :banghead:

Helmer

The same thing happened to me years ago. As I remember, I had to split the transmission and replace a woodruff key inside. I don't remember which key or gear, but it was inside the case.

TT

Unfortunately, internal damage is also a possibility.

I fixed one not long ago that had the exact same symptoms, but was not a hub key:

GT1642tranz003.jpg

I was kinda hoping it wasn't that deep. :banghead:

Kelly

My money is on a loose hub, fixed a few that had that problem.

stevebo

Terry,

I figure if you list that "gently worn" gear on ebay you should be able to get some good money for it :banghead:

TT

Terry,

I figure if you list that "gently worn" gear on ebay you should be able to get some good money for it :banghead:

But only if I list it as a RARE Wheel Horse part, right? :thumbs:

Maybe even call it NOS? (Not Operational, Suckers! :ROTF: )

rickv1957

:banghead: :thumbs:

mattd860

Thanks for your help everyone. I am going over tonight to do some diagnosing.