Anglo Traction

74 C-120/Raider update

Anglo Traction

Dear God...what a thing a beauty!!!!

I just stumbled across this thread...guess I haven't been visiting the Euro pages enough. Between you and Stig...wow! Looks like there's some AMAZING talent on your side of the pond!

I anxiously await your next posting!!!

:wh::dunno:

Hi Chris, Thanks for taking the time to browse 'Euro Horse'

Just to let you Guys know, I've been without full access to the 'Interweb' since the 20th Nov. Mother Board on my 7 year old Laptop had a catastrophic Abendment. It's amazing just how much you miss it when you don't have it.

Had to call a halt on everything to get the funds for another and try to retrieve some info off the old Hard Drive.

Also looking to change my Internet Provider to one that is more reliable and economic.

Hopefully , I'll be 'Up n Runnin' before XMAS. I'm able to look in about once a week....should give me a chance to finish the Re Wire at least.

nylyon

I know the feeling, all too well!

Kelly

I love the detail, your a man after my own heart, very clean.

Anglo Traction

I know the feeling, all too well!

............... :woohoo: I,m :techie-typing: Hooked up with you all again with my Supa Dupa new Wi Fi Laptop !. After a Month without, I was suffering serious withdrawal symptoms.

I love the detail, your a man after my own heart, very clean.

Hi Kelly, Thanks for the compliment and for looking in.

Wiring Loom is finished and installed ready for hooking up. I've Stripped out and modified a new Fuel Tap to locate in the Old position on the side of the Hoodstand. I junked the Black Fuel Tank and Tap as the Rubber Bush and Tap were a Gonner!. so I put a Red Tank in.

Will post an update with pics asap after Xmas......when I've sussed out this nice New Look Forum.

Regards.

Anglo Traction

Just a short, pictorial update this time. Finished the Mods n Paint to the Blower Housing. reasonable result converting it to WH spec-

DSC00666.JPG.80f5a42e4231af8cafcc0ebf35479570.JPG

DSC00667.JPG.4ade9be3bbe16953cff9e955c6eed405.JPG

Looking better with a few bits bolted on and wired up. I'm checking Continuity on the Earths/Grounds as I go. Just in case any of you Sharp Eyed Scrutineers see a painted Spark Plug in any of the initial pics of the thread , it's an old one for protecting the threads and keeping out debris/moisture.

Head is not 'Bolted Down yet', that will be the last job before firing it up. I'm putting Studs, Nuts and Spacers in Head Bolt positions 4,7&8, for 2 reasons,

#1 I had a ***** of a job getting the 2 bolts out of positions 7 & 8 as the threaded holes usually break into the Exhaust chamber, blowing gasses in and seizing(freezing)the bolts, often leaving you with a Sheared Bolt.

#2 I'd like to put a Stack on later and I reckon it will be a good place to fab up and bolt a Stack Support Bracket to the Studs. I'm putting an original muffler on for now (when I can sort an Exhaust Nipple).

DSC00682.JPG.0d612e66397bd92282a29f31decf0f92.JPG

Another step closer to a Runner/Rider.

Next job is making up new Throttle and Choke Cables, the old Outers are Shot. Levers are all clean and ready. Bye for now.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

WH Raider10

Just amazing, you have a great eye for perfection! I like that! :)

Anglo Traction

Thanks P-J !.

I Lied in my previous !,I haven't done the T & C the Cables yet!. Instead I made the polished Stainless Ammeter/Rectifier plate and started marking out a Template for the Shifter Plate. Sorry about pic quality, had to take it without Flash-

DSC00692.JPG.93babfdbe3a8ae9a1f17ada95f3b2c23.JPG

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

meadowfield

Hi Richard,

looking sweet... love the reflection in the rectifier plate!!!

mark

wheeledhorseman

Hi Richard

I'm back online at the forum and just trying to catch up on the various projects I'd been following before the old site became pretty much unusable.

You've certainly continued to set the standard with your work and I'm pleased you intend to put the horse to work and get it dirty despite what will certainly be its 'better than new' condition. I got so much pleasure from getting my C-120 to work hard over the summer / autumn even if it is now dirtied down a bit and has a few light scuffs to the paintwork here and there. I also discovered the real joys of an automatic over manual gears.

Also interested to read about the differences between the two engines as I'm going through that learning curve myself at present in putting together a better engine for my C-120 ready for the new season.

Keep up the great work.

Andy

Anglo Traction

Hi Richard,looking sweet... love the reflection in the rectifier plate!!! mark

I see you've been busy as well Mark, what with your new WorkShop....Looking good.

Will Email you as I need a few small Decals when your able.

I'm back online at the forum and just trying to catch up on the various projects I'd been following before the old site became pretty much unusable.

You've certainly continued to set the standard with your work and I'm pleased you intend to put the horse to work and get it dirty despite what will certainly be its 'better than new' condition. I got so much pleasure from getting my C-120 to work hard over the summer / autumn even if it is now dirtied down a bit and has a few light scuffs to the paintwork here and there. I also discovered the real joys of an automatic over manual gears.

Also interested to read about the differences between the two engines as I'm going through that learning curve myself at present in putting together a better engine for my C-120 ready for the new season. Keep up the great work. Andy

Good to hear from you again Andy. I was aware you had your head down on various projects.

I have to agree with you on the Hydro comparison, I use one (different modern Brand) occasionally. Makes me a bit lazy though!.

No real issues with the Engine Mods, other than Blower Housing and the Stator Wiring (extended as I parted with the original Stator to Landsurveyor).

I'm still struggling for various parts, a whole year searching, but I'm sure they will crop up one day. It gets done when it's done!.

Regards

Lars

:omg: :notworthy::jaw: This is amazing work .. it is simply amazing, looking forward to more pictures

Anglo Traction

This is amazing work .. it is simply amazing, looking forward to more pictures

Hi Lars, Thanks,

However I would like to see the finished Snow Ploughs you were Fabricating last Autumn. Always in awe of people who have the skills and equipment to produce these things. :bow-blue: .

Regards.

Stigian

I can't wait to see this project finished in it's full shiny glory Richard, it's going to look amazing not that it doesn't already with your stunning attention to detail.

What parts are you missing? You never know what I have buried away.

Anglo Traction
On 21/01/2012 at 11:37 AM, Stigian said:

I can't wait to see this project finished in it's full shiny glory Richard.

What parts are you missing? You never know what I have buried away.

Hi Ian , Thanks Mate, If it wasn't for breaking off dealing with other priorities, I may well have finished by now. Cold weather is not helping now either, but have made a smidgeon of progress.

As for bits missing/required, my list keeps changing where I've decided to make parts or resort to salvage (an example is in this update). I still need a Lift Cable Conduit, a PTO Rod/Pivot Plate Spring and a few other bits which I'll probably end up fabricating when I find out the specs.

Also when I get around to making an Exhaust Stack, I will need a new Exhaust Nipple, but that is not urgent anymore.

I've got the Myford Lathe set up for making all the Trunnion Nuts, but it's too Chuffing cold at the moment. The other (baby) Lathe is set up for machining Bronze Bushes.

'Any Road Up', trying to be positive about it, I've sorted and fitted the Throttle & new Choke Cables (cost me UK£12.00).Inner PTO Bearing and Oil Seal done. Got to machine up a new PTO Shaft before fitting the outer Bearing.

Made a decision to put the Standard Muffler on after I decided to take my frustration (and keep warm) out of the old Scrap Engine Block and remove the old corroded thread Exhaust Nipple. Measured the depth and set to it with the Hacksaw. 10 mins later and now quite warmed up, I carefully placed my wide blade chisel on the cut line and gave it a gentle tap and away it came-

DSC00703.JPG.7e0921aa3efb4d1743c088027c89223e.JPG

It had only been screwed in by 4 threads and as the rest had corroded away, I thought there are enough to support the Standard Muffler for now-

DSC00700.JPG.cfe4c574f94ba85ec4bed20e9c425784.JPG

Bashed off another job to empty the 'Old Bits Box'. Fired up the E-Bucket and threw in the Mid Hitch Plates etc to Simmer on 4Amps for a Night or 2.....As you can see in this 'Click and Hope' Up Shot, all done and Fitted-

DSC00698.JPG.b82bec0d499518e44781ebbdfd005bc2.JPG

I then cleaned up/painted the original Engine's Grass Screen/Shoe Grater in the naieve expectation it will be a no issue 'Bolt On' to comply with the W/Horse Look of that era. WRONG !. Kohler didn't worry about Symmetry when they cut the Flywheel apperture out of the Housing when they're fitting the External Grass Screen. As you can see in the pic below-

DSC00701.JPG.74675af046b5fea9e751193a0bd3cd37.JPG

So I'll clean this one up and paint it red in the hope it won't notice too much. Shame, but the other (lighter weight one has too wide-a -gap at the top.

Much closer to 'Firing Up' this thing now. Back soon I hope, with more progress.

Edited by Anglo Traction

meadowfield

Looking great Richard as ever ! ah yes symmetry! I think there is a two different blower housing and grass screen thing also... I've noted that the older ones seem to have a lip in the housing and the mesh seats with less clearance. The more modern screen is just rounded over at the edges and there much more clearance.

or maybe I just imagined it :ychain:

farmer

Richard,

I haven't commented on your build/workmanship for a while, simply because I've run out of superlatives :)

Thank goodness we can now rate these topics,.... 5 stars from me. :bow-blue:

wheeledhorseman

I've run out of superlatives :)
I agree Rex, quality that's out of this world!

Must admit Richard that I had an :omg: moment when I saw the first pic - thought it a bit drastic as a way of getting round the sheared stud then realised what it was about. Re the small number of threads that had engaged between nipple and block, with the iron pipe Kohler exhaust system I stripped to retrieve a muffler and a couple of locking rings, none of the fittings engaged more than this due to the taper on the thread.

:bow-blue: In awe of this project.

Andy

Anglo Traction

:sci-fi-beamup: Sorry Lads ('n' any Ladies), I lost a whole 2 Months out of my Life....must have been abducted by Aliens or something, apart from being a little :sad-fever: .

For certain, the Gremlins have been eating Posts from this Thread and since the move over to this Server ?. Not sure If I should drop this one and start over, but I'll persevere for now and add some of the missing pics n bits as-and-when, but It's catch up time for now.

Andy/Rex , compliments from Guys of your Calibre are humbling. Thanks.

The next few posts are probably a bore for many a 'Seasoned Refurber' , as it covers some insignificant parts and some may think I'm losing the Plot, but I like to fix bits that are borderline to servicable.

PTO - This has had the usual Full Monty-

post-3520-0-46116600-1333661287_thumb.jp

OEM Wheelhorse Needle Bearing and OilSeal fitted , along with an Aftermarket Outer Bearing. Machined up a new Shaft from High grade Steel and done away with the flimsy Outer Snap Ring. This Modification has a 'Beard' on it, as it has been covered by other great Authorities like 300CZ just over a year ago on here.

Made up a couple of Threaded Trunnion Nuts for the Clutch and PTO Rods, but the latter is such a good fit after enlarging the bore in the Pivot Plate-

post-3520-0-40390000-1333661435_thumb.jp

....that the Rod cannot align with the Lever end, or cope with the linear variations of travel ??? Huh ! you may say, I'll explain pictorially when I've done it.

Headlight Unit and lense were in a real bad state, thought I may have to scrap the Buckets as the Bulb Holders were badly rusted. I managed to clean them up and had enough metal there to petrify them with Kurust.

Again , covered in several previous posts, the improvement of light reflection of these 'Buckets' has been achieved by using Self Adhesive Chromed Mylar and Polished Aviation Grade Aluminium (U.S readers please delete the last ' i ' to read Aluminum) Speed Tape.

As I'm using LED SMD Low Temp Bulbs, I've blocked off the upper and lower vents, giving more reflective surface, but still allowing some venting - here's an idea of the difference

post-3520-0-33004200-1333662822_thumb.jp

.........and the finished article- (note the addition of the red grommets ...can you guess where they are from?).

post-3520-0-30363000-1333663034_thumb.jp

The Lense was also close to scrapping, but the cost of another is prohibitive, so again, a make do and mend approach was taken.

Deeply scratched, cracked, missing chrome/paint and to top it off, a piece of Weld Spatter burnt into the R/h lense-

post-3520-0-35325300-1333663333_thumb.jp

......more to follow, Tea and Tablet time

bowtiebutler956

Beautiful Work! I'm kind of new around here, and have never seen this thread. It has been great reading,and a fantastic biuld!! :woohoo::bow-blue:

Matt :flags-texas:

Martin

richard,

thanks for posting an update. ive been missing my fix of your work for quite a while.

pto cone and machine work look awesome. good idea on the lense bucket too, i will have to file that one for later on........

once again you set the standard in detail.

Lars

Realy nice job on. Way better then it was new..

meadowfield

awesome Richard, we've missed you ! :bow-blue:

mark

wheeledhorseman

It's great to be following the ways of 'the master' once again.

Your work always inspires me to try and do better.

Andy

Anglo Traction

Beautiful Work! I'm kind of new around here, and have never seen this thread. It has been great reading,and a fantastic biuld!! Matt :flags-texas:

richard, thanks for posting an update. ive been missing my fix of your work for quite a while. ........once again you set the standard in detail.

Realy nice job on. Way better then it was new..

awesome Richard, we've missed you ! . mark

Gentleman, Thankyou !.

Matt, Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Martin , What can I say !. It's a bit like Micheal Angelo complimenting a Plasterer !. Your the Man when it comes to High Standards.

Lars, Thanks !. I'm looking forward to your Project Postings.

Mark, Thanks/Hi, Glad to have time (due to insomnia) to get back into this project and being on here for longer.

Ah yes !, Lense work. Well the first thing to do was deal with the Weld Spatter , I did this with a round nosed Dental Burr in a miniature Dremel type drill, followed up by a 1/8" Ballnosed Slot Drill. This left a small dished recess which was then polished until Transparent.

Then wet sanded the scratches out using P600/P1200 grade paper with Washing up liquid. I also cleaned the paint off.

The Lense now look's a dull matt finish like so-

post-3520-0-98208600-1333671248_thumb.jp

I'm going to repair this recess with a Cellulose Laquer and will need several coats to build up just past the surface level before polishing, so I'll come back to this in a later update.

Another item that needed attention was the worn Hood Latch Rod and to source High Crown Retaining Nuts.

I went to my 27year old stock of Silver (Tool) Steel and Yep! 1/4" dia x 13" was 'In Stock' and 2 Harley Acorn Nuts arrived in the post-

They had to be chrome, as I couldn't find ordinary Steel :hide: -

post-3520-0-57131700-1333672452_thumb.jp

Measure up and into the Chuck of my 1948 Myford , turning the ends down to size and threading with a 10 x 24 tpi Die in the Tailstock Die Holder-

post-3520-0-20480400-1333672684_thumb.jp

Finished Rod and parts for when the Hood is ready, alongside the old bits -

post-3520-0-96046600-1333673052_thumb.jp

I dropped the Belt Cover and Footrests off to be Grit Blasted, plan to collect them Tuesday straight after Blasting so I can get them back and Primed quickly.

Regards.

• Like 1

Zeek

Anglo you are the master :dance:

I want you to sell your house, move to the US :auto-camptrailer: and buy a house next door to me. That way I can use your lathe and we can work on tractors all day :orcs-cheers: Bring a woman with you because I don't go that way :royalty-queen: .

• Like 2