Anglo Traction

74 C-120/Raider update

Zeek

Sweet job as usual :woohoo:

I may have overlooked it in your posts, but what size and brand of ag tire do you have on the rear? They fill out the back very nicely :wicked:

Anglo Traction
On 15/10/2012 at 7:07 PM, Stigian said:

Come on Richard, were all waiting to see your beautiful machine in action. When's the video coming? :D:D

Hi Ian, You want Video as well !!, that's another learning curve for me. I'll need some time for that. Still making parts to get it in a state of completion. Meanwhile, it (they) is/are sheltering in their Work Stable where they were 'Reborn'.... riding out the bad weather

DSC00824.JPG.d2c353e879783ae60bd3e9983512b6c1.JPG

I know it's been a bit quiet here in Euro Horse recently, so I'll be as quick as I can with an update (and maybe a Vid) .

(Zeek was sent a PM)

Edited by Anglo Traction

bowtiebutler956

They look warm, and cozy in there Richard. I'm with the others, a video of your gorgeous :wh:'s in action would be great! Don't feel bad, I didn't know how to do a video untill a couple months ago. It was Craig pressuring me to post a video of Danny riding his Bantam, that finally got me to learn how. :thumbs: It was something like this :teasing-poke:!!

Matt :flags-texas:

AMC RULES

Very inspiring stuff you're sharing here Richard. :thumbs:

Pressuring? I thought I was encouraging...but whatever it takes to get the job done right.

Oh, and BTW...never, never...never underestimate the power of your poker Matt. :)

It can work miracles. :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

Zeek

You're awesome . . . if you weren't a dude, I'd be proposing by now or doing some other kind of weird overseas internet thing . . . :eusa-shifty:

Anglo Traction

They look warm, and cozy in there Richard. I'm with the others, a video of your gorgeous :wh:'s in action would be great! Don't feel bad, I didn't know how to do a video untill a couple months ago. It was Craig pressuring me to post a video of Danny riding his Bantam, that finally got me to learn how. It was something like this :teasing-poke:!! Matt :flags-texas:

Hey Matt, A bit of 'Smiley' motivation is a good thing.......it worked for you, your Vid was a good production. I shall use my Son's HD Camcorder when I see him later this week.

Very inspiring stuff you're sharing here Richard. Pressuring? I thought I was encouraging...whatever it takes to get the job done right.

Oh, and BTW...never, never...never underestimate the power of your poker Matt. It can work miracles. :teasing-poke:

Hi Craig, Thanks, yeah your right about the power of the Poker !. I see you've been going through a few Identity changes with your Username....Threw me a bit for a moment.

You're awesome . . . if you weren't a dude, I'd be proposing by now or doing some other kind of weird overseas internet thing . . . :eusa-shifty:

Man you make me Laugh!. I hope Mrs Zeek isn't standing behind you watching when your online ! or do you have a Rear View Mirror stuck to your Monitor ?.

Hope you all are ok after the Storm.

Pictorial update will follow later this evening.

Anglo Traction

Had loads of 'Fiddley Bits' to make over the last week or so and have been sheltering in the 'Ole Worke Shoppe'. I said I had some goodies arrive, they are in the form of Lift Cables and other bits-

DSC00822.JPG.1a30c9d883e7aeeb998d4d88745531a9.JPG

7 x 7 strand Stainless Steel Cables and Swaged Clevis Forks/Pins. SWL of 158kgs ( 348lbs). Plenty for what I need. Stainless Cable Eyes and Clamps for the Lever end should hopefully have the same load limits. I used Thick Walled copper tube for the Conduit in the end. Made up 2 matched Clevis plates and pins, both in High grade Steel and reamed the Lever's Cable hole out to 5/16"-

DSC00835.JPG.825ec30369e62830676a245181530b43.JPG

DSC00829.JPG.6256a55b9d0ae9347a1f1001ed90567c.JPG

A job that I left sometime back was the Light Lense. Well It cleaned up ok and the Weld Spatter damage has been filled and blended out. I have to say though, that all of my efforts to lose the Crack lines have failed. I just cannot get anything to fill them invisibly (even vacuum drawing the fluids in). So the Old War Scar will stay. The lense has been fixed on with the correct size 6-32 but used Stainless Button Head Screws-

DSC00821.JPG.1536023f1f67002effb3369acf516391.JPG

While I was playing with the H.G Steel Gauge Plate, I machined up the parts for the PTO Clevis and Silver Soldered them together (you can't see the join). The Pin is slightly Softer Steel, so it will wear first. The Roll Pin is not the Spirol type, so I made up a hard Pin to go inside it with a slight interference fit so the Clevis will still pivot on the Roll Pin-

DSC00833.JPG.ca5e2f5827e4eb6b4359f49fa453bd9b.JPG

I found that both Lever Knobs had cracks where they push on to the Levers, and not wanting to start searching the Web for more, I decided to repair them.

They were glued and clamped to seal the cracks and I made collars out of 0.014" Nickel Silver Strip. As it was annealed to 1/4 hardness, it was easy to shape them to a close fit and Silver Soldered to form a band. Slower Cooling made the Nickel 1/2 hard, but still soft enough to shape itself round the neck of the Knobs. A quick clean up and I pressed the Collars on in the Smooth Jawed Vice......job done...

DSC00832.JPG.e64d95405689b3e9f7c5c8746909006d.JPG

I still have to make a modified Trunnion for the PTO and a few other bits, but It's more or less there.

So ! , with the Absence of a Yet-to-Come Vid. , here's an Autumnal shot of it under the Apple Tree for now (sorry about the image quality).

DSC00825.JPG.78dc22e512ce5551ccc78e706d8a5fe9.JPG

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 2

meadowfield

Wow!!!

Beautiful Richard.

bowtiebutler956

Thats some good stuff there Richard! :text-datsphatyo: Nice work! :thumbs:

Stigian

:bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: Stunning!!

Lars

:drool: :drool: well that horse is a queen.!!!

WH Raider10

Just amazing... :eek::bow-blue: :woohoo:

neil

Outstanding work Richard

True artistry

will be a shame to put it to work

maddog

i was wondering, does your raider have whats called a lift arm. from what i understand is that this arm connects to the mower deck, then connects to the lift handle. the lift arm is really confusing me. i can figure out where to connect to the deck, where to connect to the lift handle. But on the end of the arm it branches off to a "T". i can't for the life of me figure out where this "T" mounts to the tractor.

AMC RULES

Man you make me Laugh!. I hope Mrs Zeek isn't standing behind you watching when your online ! or do you have a Rear View Mirror stuck to your Monitor ?.

Hope you all are ok after the Storm.

LOL! What do you mean...doesn't everybody have one? :scratchead:

post-3498-0-16043500-1352852749_thumb.jp

• Like 1

neil

LOL

Wishin4a416

Beautiful work! Looks great.

nylyon

I found that both Lever Knobs had cracks where they push on to the Levers, and not wanting to start searching the Web for more, I decided to repair them.

They were glued and clamped to seal the cracks and I made collars out of 0.014" Nickel Silver Strip. As it was annealed to 1/4 hardness, it was easy to shape them to a close fit and Silver Soldered to form a band. Slower Cooling made the Nickel 1/2 hard, but still soft enough to shape itself round the neck of the Knobs. A quick clean up and I pressed the Collars on in the Smooth Jawed Vice......job done...

DSC00832.jpg

Just an FYI, no need to search for knobs, they're right here:

wheeledhorseman

Just been catching up on what's been going on while I've been on 'vacation' from RS.

I know it's what we've come to expect from you but it does have to be said again and again - that's one georgeous project you've all but completed there Richard and with such attention to engineering detail everywhere. An example to us all mate!

Andy

Anglo Traction

Hi All, Just thought I'd bump this Thread to cover the problem I had with the Fuel Pump Diaphram 'Throwing in the Towel' after only 1 hour of running.

My fault, as I used the Pump from the original '74' engine and looked ok inside after cleaning initially....... When I stripped it out, I found the diaphram material had de-laminated and became porus.

Any road up, I opted to try out the repair kit to retain the metal Pump(s) and a spare back up Kit for the Raider.

£50.00 ($76.00) later and rather disappointed, I found the replacement diaphram(s) are too big in most dimensions (aside from the punched holes) and just won't fit my Pumps!. Needless to say that after a week, I have not yet recieved a reply from the supplier .

I have to assume I won't, so probably an expensive mistake....................

So my remaining no cost option was to revive the Pump from the '81' Engine that now resides in this Tractor. I had taken this apart and bagged it up for storage, it's the plastic/resin type, but has the bonus of the Primer Lever. Had a lot of wear on some moving parts, but the diaphram and valves are pretty good.

All I had to do really was to replace the hardened Lever Pivot Pin and secure (weld) the little Spring Plate which was really sloppy and could not effectively keep the lever in contact with the Cam.  

post-3520-0-93412000-1366852613_thumb.jp

The Pin was a few thou under 3/16" dia (Imperially speaking), so I made mine from Silver Steel turned down and finished to 0.1845" and hardened before it would just pass through the Lever with a 'Running Fit'............You can see in the Pic where the Spring plate had worn grooves into the old Pin and my rather untidy welds to secure the Spring Plate, but it does the job and won't damage the Pivot Pin anymore. The spring clips onto the plate now and eased assembly which would have been a challenge with only 2 hands.

post-3520-0-28019100-1366851917_thumb.jp.

Successful reassembly and the pump operates positively now with the air pressure test. Need to run a few litres of fuel through it under pressure now before it's fitted. Hope I get more use out of this one, so I can finish breaking this Engine in.       

post-3520-0-79439600-1366854333_thumb.jp

Top of the Hood is being prepped for a repaint to repair the small paint reaction areas mentioned further back in the thread.  

V spelling correction

Edited by Anglo Traction

wheeledhorseman

Whatever you restore, you do it to such a high standard as always Richard and It's good to see an update on your work.

Re using a pump that had initially checked out as good, I've had a similar issue with one of the decks I recently restored where the spindle bearings felt fine and looked ok visually, no signs that water had got in etc. A few hours use later and the inner race of a blade end bearing had disintegrated. I did debate whether or not to replace all the bearings as part of the resto but they seemed too good for that.

Re the repair kits, some words of experience from guys across 'The Pond' would be useful as this is an issue that we are all going to have to face at some point in the future with our Kohlers.

Andy

Anglo Traction

Hi Andy, Thanks, If I can fix things, rather than throw them away, it only costs me my time if I have the wherewithal.

I will be tackling a 36" RD Deck Rebuild soon, so I may be asking questions on that one.

The Kits, yes would be interesting, I know of a few posts on here and some who weren't happy, but not asked directly.

Incidentally, the Punched hole spacing in the diaphram issue that some have had is due to the maker possibly using the dimensions from the same type of Pump here in my post. 

They fit the larger hole spacing on my plastic Pump and are secured using Self Tapping type Screws.

My Email to the supplier was respectful and suggested a possible wrong size sent. Don't want to post bad publicity on here if that is/was the case.

If I have no luck, I will dismantle the kit diaphrams and re assemble with (or make) the old Kohler hardware and the new diaphram material.....may even make my own valves.    

Regards

Stigian

Your attention to detail always amazes me Richard, I can't wait to see it at Ardingly this year :handgestures-thumbup:

bowtiebutler956

Nice work Richard! :thumbs:

neil

Exactly what Ian said