Anglo Traction

74 C-120/Raider update

Anglo Traction

It's been a while since my last progress report, mainly due to my attentions having to be directed elsewhere.

I targeted the Hoodstand, as it required a lot of work to repair and prepare.

Both lower plates and one side wing plate that bolt it to the Frame were rotten-

DSC00551.JPG.8296175a4446559eb5f47a52133cdcbc.JPG

Below- This side (Brake Drum side) had not been Spot Welded when Manufactured and the Rust had 'Blown' and swelled the joint. The other side was done and ok-

DSC00552.JPG.f56c282fdb0a4ee3453438a17a24c179.JPG

These areas were cut away, cleaned up and rust treated. I obtained the steel the right thickness and made up new pieces and TIG'd them in place.

I managed to get it sandblasted while I waited, got it straight back, Zinc sprayed and began filling/blending. Took 2 days to smooth off as nearly every surface was heavily pitted. It's now had the first coat of red primer to highlight any spots I missed and fitted it for 'Spotting Through' for the bolts. I'm adding 2 more fixing points for rigidity, the last 2 holes in the Frame before the Tranny Plate-

DSC00569.JPG.7adfac6d99a9935778d4bf0687044982.JPG

DSC00565.JPG.fcf8b2b9cd226c1abf92567a1c0e783c.JPG

Old side Wing piece and the new one welded/blended and snug fitting. The Lift Arm Bearing bore has a nylon bush fitted to prevent grit ingestion during blasting-

DSC00570.JPG.246c6a6a093c580a7907eba436a81cf7.JPG

The Tank Support is done as well, but have to re-align one of the side plates when I 'Mock Up' the Hood, Dash Housing and steering. Then it's 'Paint Time' and start on the Brake and Clutch Linkage . That's all for now.

Regards.

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

meadowfield

wow!!! thats awesome Richard, I think I might give up any further career in restorations.

Theres no way I can compete!!!

Looking forward to the finished pictures.

mark

Stigian

Great progress Richard, this is certainly going to be a show winner when it's finished :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

I think I might give up any further career in restorations.

Theres no way I can compete!!!

Mark, Thanks, but don't sell yourself short. When the time comes (and it will) and you want to do a good (no cost/time limit) restore on one, you'll 'Step up to the Mark' I'm sure (no pun intended).

Hi Ian , Thanks. I have some way to go to meet your Welding skills though.

Glad to see you've got your Auto Tranny, I was concerned you wouldn't find one. Bob came up Trumps for you!.

Regards.

wheeledhorseman

Wow Richard, I

Stigian

Hi Ian , Thanks. I have some way to go to meet your Welding skills though.

Glad to see you've got your Auto Tranny, I was concerned you wouldn't find one. Bob came up Trumps for you!.

Morning Richard, thanks for the welding complement, you only get to see photo's of my better welding, some is er... no that great.

Did I read you TIG weld? That's something I would like to try some day.

I got a bit lucky on the hyrdo trans, I didn't think I would of found one in anywhere near the timescale I needed.

Anglo Traction
I was interested to read about the adjustable track rods

farmer

You see Richard, I was right :wh:

you even have the rear tyres in their warming blankets :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

Well I'm scrapping the 12hp Engine that was in this Tractor. Found a Hairline Crack in the bore :thumbs: Was a bit down about it for a while, then all of a sudden 'Out of the Blue, :wh: I find a replacement. Later 12hp model, Flat Pan and complete with the ancilliaries. Oh! and the Muffler is Bolt On, so I may go 'Skyward' with a new one.

Better still, it was a good price and only 530 hours......patience is a virture!.

It also means I'll have quite few quality spare parts for a K301s available.

Stigian

A new engine.. :thumbs:

Skywards in the only way to go with a muffler, a "stack" sounds quite good as well :wh:

It also means I'll have quite few quality spare parts for a K301s available

Have you got a carb you fancy parting with? :D

Anglo Traction

Have you got a carb you fancy parting with? :WRS:

I should have one Ian, I took the Lid off this new-to-me Engine and found a few problems, scored bore and damaged piston edges :hide: .

It may go back if I can't get a compromise on reducing the price I paid.

If I keep it and pay to repair it, I will have a Nbr 26 Carb (Kit Refurbished, super clean inside and out and Top Throttle Shaft Bushing installed) available.

I'll let you know at the weekend.

Regards.

Stigian

That's a shame about the new engine having problems, unless you hear and see them running you never can really tell about their condition until you crack them open.

There is a very slim chance I might still have a few used pistons knocking about the place, I will have a look, but as it's been over a year since I saw them last there is every chance they may of got thrown out when we moved house first time!

Let me know about the carb, my poor little Raider 10 is suffering with it's current carb.

Anglo Traction

Mmm !, apart from being 5 months since my last update, I've been trying to log on here for several days without success. So I may have to Post one part at a time.

During my absence, I've been battling with the frustrations of sorting a decent Motor for this WH and decided to make something of this 'So Called Superb Condition Engine'-

DSC00584.JPG.ad7e885b330d716d25f12396a97ef2aa.JPG

Scored Bore and damaged Piston all caused by lumps of Carbon breaking off-

DSC00599.JPG.ee5e2a9705897a31d29f48af7d1f9dd8.JPG

DSC00590.JPG.0778c41b492e4953097c3a922d4e2215.JPG

A complete strip down also revealed a need for a Crank Re-grind, so I set about finding a place to have the work done, sourcing the parts and costing the whole Rebuild.

In the meantime, I chipped away at the 'No Cost' jobs like making up a new Axle Pivot Pin-

DSC00606.JPG.6044e5d3279accb7440ea2229e6f19de.JPG

Finally tied down a Machinist (long established family business) in August and ordered the Piston/Rod etc after it had been inspected.

Eventually (10 days ago), everything came together and I picked up a nice clean re-bored (0.020") Engine and a shiny re-ground (-0.010") Crank.

A few other parts were purchased, as the old ones were borderline in tolerance and started the assembly after throwing some Paint on it-

DSC00628.JPG.850e80a513311f4e8c88d1c3d76fa53a.JPG

I swapped the Oil Pans over, due to oil drain location and then planted it back onto the Tractor before putting the Flywheel etc on. Took the opportunity to Highlight the Timing Marks and set the Points/Timing-

DSC00633.JPG.05fcd539169e8ac2805fb80775057192.JPG

I'll add another post shortly as the Forum link is still dropping out.

Edited by Anglo Traction

Anglo Traction

Ok , next attempt....... Engine mounted-

DSC00635.JPG.b19c5bfe0f6153687a7820164ae91e39.JPG

DSC00634.JPG.92749ccb8f69556226bdd2c75ef1bc05.JPG

One little mod was the addition of a Stiffening Tube for the PTO Lever Rod which fits between the side panels of the Hoodstand. New Bushings also machined up-

DSC00647.JPG.ef332ad4a68f725fb4ce7393aaf6ea41.JPG

Because this Engine is from a diffeent Application, I have several changes to make to the Shrouds, not to mention beating out dents and straightening out some distortion. With them all cleaned off, I mounted them to check the fit etc. Also shows an idea of how it looks if you Chrome plate the Tin !-

DSC00637.JPG.1f05458fd0633991802b77718f193db8.JPG

DSC00638.JPG.ce12bd99c0ef71d0b737c962d3054f79.JPG

The changes consist of marking out & drilling the point for the Throttle Cable Pivot on the front of the Shroud. A thickening pad will be added for tapping the Threads . I may have a use for the 2 Studs on the side face above the Flywheel.

The other change is to seal up the apperture where the Regulator/Rectifier was fitted. It is where the Solenoid has to go. Also involves drilling, adding thickening pads and Tapping, Welding up (including the old holes) and blending out-

DSC00639.JPG.0843c98e823d98d6e6802ce891c3e1eb.JPG

Next job is to make a new Wiring Loom, then see if my Sand Blaster Man is available to do the remaining Panels. He was evacuated from his premises for a week due to a serious fire at a Recycling Plant 40 yards away recently.

So the next update won't be as overdue as this one.

Regards

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

Anglo Traction

Ok , next attempt....... Engine mounted .....Duplicated post, so minimised by edit.

Regards

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

meadowfield

top notch as always Richard, hope to make some progress on mine soon!

mark

rmaynard

I think the engine tins would look great in brushed chrome. :dunno:

farmer

Richard,

Your updates are like buses :dunno:

I have to say, if there are different grades of restoration from your ' Joe Average' twenty foot rattle can ( me, when I get around to it) job, through to a full on 'nuts and bolts effort, from what I've seen, your work is a 'Sealed in a vaccum glass case afterwards' type job. Seriously intimidating :help: :wh:

Anglo Traction

Richard,

Your updates are like buses :wh:

I have to say, if there are different grades of restoration from your ' Joe Average' twenty foot rattle can ( me, when I get around to it) job, through to a full on 'nuts and bolts effort, from what I've seen, your work is a 'Sealed in a vaccum glass case afterwards' type job. Seriously intimidating :thanks::help:

Hi Rex, Sorry about the 'Duped' Post. Don't know how it happened?, only that the site Froze several times while I was Previewing for edit check before hitting the Post Button.Thread history showed last post back in May. Lost the link, managed to Log back on and found 2 posts , 1 unedited and 1 edited :dunno: .

As for the Tractor, It should pass a '3 Footer' scrutiny when it's done, but it ain't going in the Glass Case. It will be kicking Mud and Dirt.

Only it will be fairly resistant to the Jet Wash and still look pretty tidy after.

Hope your not Washed Out with all the Rain down West. This end is like a Dust Bowl !.

Regards.

Stigian

I have to agree there though a pair of shades might be needed when servicing the engine :help:

Great work as ever Richard :wh:

Any more updates?

Anglo Traction
Stigian said:
rmaynard said:

I have to agree there though a pair of shades might be needed when servicing the engine :help:

Great work as ever Richard :wh:

Any more updates?

Hi Ian/All, Yep!, I agree with Bob's suggestion of Brushed Chrome effect. Problem would be the blemishes and pitting, so I'll be painting it.

Not much in the way of progress, except for refurbishing and making a few parts. I've had a week in France and 6 days down in The West Country. I've stripped out and repaired the original Solenoid. A simple job. The PO had chewed up one of the Terminal threads, so I had to sort that (the Washers shown all came off the term'ls). Battery Cables had also suffered at his/their hands-

DSC00648.JPG.82257b27baa7dcbe8806f37391b65f9e.JPG

The Contact Flats on the Copper Terminals were crooked, so the Actuator Disc only touched the edges.

Lots of Arc Spark residue around the inside and close to Tracking and possibly burning out the Energiser Coil-

DSC00653.JPG.ef2e72a469cdd6f6fffef593170e05f5.JPG

All cleaned up and ready for another 30 years of use with the Contact positions correctly set-

DSC00655.JPG.99ec161b2e30bb0cc47a2051b2f21608.JPG

DSC00656.JPG.1b17cf961a98d14d28b7dd9029a40c48.JPG

Battery Terminals now bonded to new Leads, made up new Throttle Pivot Linkage, Seat Latch Bushes and Carb fully re built. All the ignition parts are now good and ready to fit-

DSC00657.JPG.cf12d5a1c2cf3107c9d891d2f1063abe.JPG

Re-wire cables on order and welding up a few bits and painting this week hopefully.

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

meadowfield

Richard,

still looking awesome ! :dunno:

mark

Stigian

Amazing attention to detail Richard, the carb, coil, air filter etc look better than new..

Are you still interested in buying those 'orse bits from me?

Anglo Traction

Amazing attention to detail Richard, the carb, coil, air filter etc look better than new..

Are you still interested in buying those 'orse bits from me?

Thanks Buddy, glad to see you 'Postin' again.

Yep ! Hoping to get to see you soon for a few bits and pieces etc. I'll bring some 'Thinking Liquid' also (6% ABV) :dunno:.

Text you later this week.

Regards.

chesbaycruiser

Dear God...what a thing a beauty!!!!

I just stumbled across this thread...guess I haven't been visiting the Euro pages enough. Between you and Stig...wow! Looks like there's some AMAZING talent on your side of the pond!

I anxiously await your next posting!!!

:wh: :dunno: