Sign in to follow this  
nekovt

310-8 Shifter getting loose

nekovt

Hello, I have a 310-8 where the shifter is starting to get loose. In a short time it's gone from being able to shift in to 3rd gear 1/2 way to the left to 3rd gear 3/4 way to the left. It seems like the engaging gear is getting further over toward the end. Could this transmission be on it's way out? I changed the fluid 2 years ago and it's been doing ok. It does whine when it runs, but it always have done this since I got it back then.

Thanks!

Brad

Kelly

Sounds like the set screw that holds the shifter in needs to be adjusted, pull the console plate off that covers the shifter area, pull the shifter boot up, you will see a set screw with a lock nut, loosen the nut turn the set screw(allen wrench) in till the shifter feels tight, not to tight, try all the gears, tighten the nut and test it out before putting the cover back on, now would be a good time to put a new boot on also, you can get them from Toro for about $5, if that does not fix it, pull the shifter all the way out by turning that same set screw most of the way out, have the trans in neutral, and pull up on the shifter it should slide right out, check to see if the collar is tight on the shaft if not it will need to be fixed, we can cover that if need be.

• Like 1

nekovt

Hi, I found the set screw, removed it, took the shift out, cleaned it. There was a little pin that was in pieces but the rest of the pin is holding the ball on there fine. Now when I put it back in, it just flops around in there and I can't get it to shift. Although I haven't put the set screw back in, I wanted to see if it would shift with me just holding it down. Does this sound like something is broken? Thanks. BRad

nekovt

Got it thanks!!!

I found that the spring style pin that holds the ball on the shifter was all cracked up, I pushed it out and I'm going to try to see if Home Depot has one. If this works, then it may be an easy fix. Thanks!

nekovt

Hi, I looked at the link above and I have just that. What I found is that there's a tension pin that was broken that went through the ball and shifter. I've a new tension in the ball that goes all the way through, but I'm not sure what to do with the set screw. Does it go in to one side of the hole? Meaning I might have to push some of the tension pin out the other side and cut it so the set screw goes in the hole on the ball?

Right now when I put the shifter back in, the ball goes down in to the transmission. I can't see how the ball stays in the ball area. If I hold it there and try to shift, the handle just turns.

Can anyone help? Thanks!! Brad

nekovt

I was able to look at this link

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:...2_TlylO4h1_KF3A

and is looks like I'm not missing anything, but just putting it together wrong. I can't tell from the diagram, but it looks like the tension pin lines up the ball with the hole in the transmission shaft. When I put it back in, the ball easily drops in to the transmission.

I can't get it to shift still, the shaft just turns and flops around. The forks are lined up in neutral just like the picture.

Thanks for any help!

Brad

dgjks6

OK, I am not sure if this will help, but I took the shifter off my transmission and took some pics for you:

Here is a pic of a brkoen pin, but it shows that the "ball" is held on by that pin:

DSCF6627.jpg

In this pic the ball is in place held by the pin. It goes flush with the back side:

DSCF6630.jpg

The set screw goes from the front side and the dog ear point goes in the hole. The pin does not go all the way through to the other side.

If the pin is not in, then the hole assembly will fall though in the transmission. The dog screw stops it from falling in.

DSCF6632.jpg

DSCF6633.jpg

hope this helps.

Kelly

Just what he said you will need to drive the pin about 1/8" so the set screw has someplace to go, and cut the pin off the back side, the set screw is the only thing that holds the shifter in, don't make it too tight, it will not shift.

nekovt

Thank you!!!

That did it and it shifts like new now!!

Thank you Thank you!!

chris11

good job there

Kelly

Glad to help.

can whlvr

i remember the first time that happened to me,it feels so good to fix what seems like a serious repair so easily