Sign in to follow this  
pfrederi

Rear Axle Needle Bearing Question

pfrederi

Over the years WH used 2 different needle bearing for 1-1/8" rear axle needle bearings. Older units used 1528 and newer ones 9416.

In reality the older units used a caged needle bearing Torrington (nee Koyo) J-1816 and the newer ones use a full complement bearing B-1816.

So which is the better bearing??? Did WH change because the full complement is better or because it is cheaper? Currently the Caged unit is over 2x as expensive as the full complement type.

My own feeble mind would think more rollers are better, but, if so why is the caged unit so much more money...do you get what you pay for?

In my experience the axle needle bearings are the weakest link in a WH tranny, and when they fail they have a nasty tendency to destroy the very expensive 1533 ball bearing so I want to use the best bearing possible.

Full Complement is on the left caged on the right

632339114023233.jpg

dgjks6

I am going to go out a limb from my recollection of physics.

Full compliment can carry a higher load, but becaus there are mor needles has more friction - so less efficient

Cage bearings - less load bearing, but fewer needles, so less friction so more efficient.

Which one to choose - no idea

Don1977

I would think that the full compliment would be better if using a tiller or plowing a garden.

sorekiwi

I dont know either. We probably need one our Mechanical Engineers to chime in with the theory here.

If it was me, I'd go for the full complement bearing. My (unieducated) feeling is more rollers is better. I wouldnt worry about friction, I'm sure that 90 wt oil is the biggest cause of drag in our transmissions.

I also think that the reason the axle bearings fail is because of all the water and general gunge that collects up the axle tubes. The bearings in the center section of the trans get splashed a bit more with fresh oil and so more of the crap gets flushed out.

My .02c, take it as worth what you paid for it!! :banghead: