Sign in to follow this  
CTPATRIOT

C-85 question?

CTPATRIOT

Where they solid or rubber mounted?

TT

Rubber

stevebo

I believe all the blackhoods were rubber mounted ??

TT

I believe all the blackhoods were rubber mounted ??

Nope. :thumbs:

Guess which one wasn't. :banghead:

stevebo

Sorry.. I knew this... C175 and C195 :banghead:

TT

The C-195 is the only one.

CTPATRIOT

The C-85 i have is solid mounted and looks factory.Would it be an older engine?

TT

:banghead:

CTPATRIOT

:banghead:

Tomorrow!

stevebo

I think I have to agree that is factory. It has been a very long day for me and I am not thinking clear... I though the C85 was solid mounted. Jeff (wheelhorse85) had one that I believe is solid mount.

TT

My C-85 had a rubber-mounted engine:

C85005.jpg

stevebo

Terry,

I looked at that in the pic gallery.

TT

I was just being a seeing eye dog for the others, Steve. :banghead:

wheelhorsec85

I think I have to agree that is factory. It has been a very long day for me and I am not thinking clear... I though the C85 was solid mounted. Jeff (wheelhorse85) had one that I believe is solid mount.

hay Steve , the c85 that i owned for 10 years was my first wheel horse . and it was rubber mounted :thumbs: . i like the black hood except for it being rubber mounted . but all c85s came from the factory rubber mounted . or should have . i took a c101 and made it a solid mount engine . and was easy to do . so all you would need is a older 8 hp kohler to do this to a c85 .

i have a question for Shaun . #1 is that how you spell your name ? :banghead: . and #2 is or was the 8 hp kohler on your c85 red at one time ???. if it was red it is a older engine . :ROTF:

CTPATRIOT

(SHAWN)The engine is black.,looks original.I'll check it out better and post some engine pics today.

CTPATRIOT

The engine has a 1982 serial number,i'm guessing the tractor is an "82 or "83.The serial number tag on the tractor is blank.Here are the pics.

181b.jpg

181a.jpg

rmaynard

Looking at the picture above, and then looking at the 1983 C-85 parts diagram, what you see (the solid mount) appears to be standard for that year.

CTPATRIOT

Looking at the picture above, and then looking at the 1983 C-85 parts diagram, what you see (the solid mount) appears to be standard for that year.

Interesting,was it a 1983 only thing for the C-85?

dgjks6

I'll be darned. According to the Toro Master Parts viewer that is a stock engine mount for 1983 only.

Therefore your tractor is a 1983 - 11-08K801.

WH854

Well I must be seeing things that engine looks bigger than an 8hp could it be a factory Johnny Cash tractor :banghead:

Chas

can whlvr

in talking about the rubber mounted engines,i wonder why wheelhorse stopped using that setup,i have tractors that dont have it and one that does,it seems smooth,no vibrations,so do u guys think it was a money thing or did they encur problems with the mounts?

dgjks6

The guy who machined my engine talked a lot about this. He said on the Kohler's with the balance gears and the rubber mounts there were problems. If the balance gears were left out, or put in incorrectly, on tractors with rubber mounts, then the tractors would shake uncontrollably.

He recommended that if leaving the balance gears out, then mount the engine directly to the frame.

JimD

Looking at the pictures above, there are spacers between the engine and the riser plate mount. I haven't seen this before. Are the spacers rubber, or metal? Did Wheel Horse reinvent the wheel here and change from the cradle mount? :banghead:

CTPATRIOT

Looking at the pictures above, there are spacers between the engine and the riser plate mount. I haven't seen this before. Are the spacers rubber, or metal? Did Wheel Horse reinvent the wheel here and change from the cradle mount? :banghead:

All steel,NO rubber at all :thumbs: .