Sign in to follow this  
farmer

Lawn Ranger

farmer

Hello all,

I've spent some time looking through the :ROTF: tractor gallery for a tractor i learnt

to drive on, it was a Lawn Ranger like this. (Googled image)

19393244-134-1970-Wheel-Horse-Lawn-Ranger1.jpg

The tractor was bought by my dad in 1971 s/hand , he made a little trailer for it and I learnt how to reverse the outfit. If I remember correctly, it had an 8 horse briggs .. a 30" 2 blade side discharge deck and a clutch/brake combo.

The bonnet and wings were plastic, this little machine cut our grass for 22 years before it was put down ... :banghead: ..I mean traded for a brand new 312-8. In that time, it hardly missed a beat (even with an over-eager youngster at it's controls) the starter didn't last long though, (I remember cutting my little hands in half with that f*****g rope). :thumbs:

Point is .. Was this made in the US or Belgium and has anyone else rode this horse?

jusjeepn

yes Rex it was produced stateside too. I learned on this same horse and I own one now for sentimental reasons. It was actually Tecumseh powered.

farmer

Pat,

Thanks for getting back and answering the question as to where it was built. It would be nice to see one in the gallery one day. It's 40 years ago now but i clearly remember the glossy brochure the salesman left with me when the tractor came.

Our little Lawn Ranger was on page 2 then followed the Comando's ,Raider's etc,

last tractor was the mighty GT14..wow.. At the very back were a couple of pages of attachments, tillers, snowthrowers and such, ..so cool. As an eight year old it made quite an impression on me.

Anywho, thanks again for clearing up my question :banghead:

nylyon

It would be nice to see one in the gallery one day.

Well then, yours could be the first. Go ahead and post your picture in the gallery, that's how we get them

jusjeepn

Here is a pic after my son repainted it and before the engine was reinstalled. He was 11 when he painted this and he did a really good job!

007.jpg

farmer

That takes me back..although mine had an engine :banghead:

Hand brake button..the deck used to hang on those four hangers with pins / split pins. your tyres look oversize, and i can't remember that back rest, your mod i assume. Any chance you could post it up in the Gallery?

ps I think your son did a better job than i could have! :thumbs: Thanks again.

jusjeepn

It's tucked away right now but I'll get a picture for the archives later. The rear tires are oversize. The seat is in the factory location. The Ranger 700 had the seat back mounted lower. I do have the deck for it but it hasn't been repainted yet! I'd like to find the dozer blade and snow blower attachments just to them. They also had a rear weight option that was a tombstone weight with mounting bracket. Kelly just bought a set of weights for one these.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24282

4xfourfun

I had one too, it was the second tractor I ever purchased. Gave $50 for it. Man that little Tecumseh was a moody thing. Sometimes it started great, and other times it was a real pain. Had it for two years and sold it for a whoppin $80.

rickv1957

Have a NOS ranger!!!! :banghead:

farmer

Rick,

I had a scan through your Album .... talk about seeing RED..wow, you must have pretty near an example of every model! I'm guessing the grass around your way has given up trying to grow :thumbs: AMAZING collection, i looked but i couldn't spot the little Lawn Ranger though. Having said that it must take you while to find it amongst so many. Fire up that lot.. there'd be an earthquake in China! :banghead:

4xfourfun

In the first picture, look at the far end.

In the 2nd picture, look at the left end of the "prized shelf", which is reserved for the nicest of the nice. :banghead:

Hope you don't mind me re-posting your pics Rick!

-Ben

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

farmer

Well spotted Ben thanks, I was never any good at Where's Wally :hide:

Now if i could just persuade Rick to tippy-toe in..pop that little machine on his shoulder...nip outside...take some pic's.

'Course i wouldn't want Rick to hurt himself...so....rather than carry it back..might be easier to crate er up.. and send to the UK. Just mark the box "Farmer".......

.....well I'd be happy ! :hide:

I'd be eight years old again, and for a while at least, i wouldn't have to pull that

f :banghead::thumbs::ROTF: g rope ! ! :D