Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

how do you know if you need new tie rods?

dgjks6

My tie rods are off the tractor. The balls spin lossely in bothe ends, but at one end there is a little play. The ball wiggles maybe .5mm, but still wiggles. The other end does not. Should I replace them?

buckeye

You can tighten them up by useing a center punch. Remove the tie rods from the tractor, lay the tie rod on a flat surface, and give them a wack with a hammer and center punch to "collapse" the tie rod around the ball. Maybe someone can expain this a little better :banghead:

wheelhorsec85

replace tie rods when they break

keg

just hold on for the fun ride wen they do break lol :banghead:

slufoot733

As buckeye stated you can "tighten" them up some with a hammer. But understand that they are worn/wearing. This is just normal and comes with use.

Using the hammer you can pound on the sleeve to force the metal closer to the ball. Don't overdo it. I have done this on my other tractors and it takes a little time and a gentle hand. I use the ball of a ball peen hammer and tap all around the sleeve. After several taps check the ball for tightness. Continue taping until the ball tightens up just a little. That's it, you're done. Now lubricate the ball with the thickest oil you can find. Work it down into the socket. This will extend the life of the tie rod socket for awhile. Keep in mind you should look for new tie rod end parts because this is only a temporary fix. You do not want it to fail in the middle of a job and not have a replacement part. Or better yet, replace the parts BEFORE they fail.

Good luck,

KT

buckeye

I would use caution if using a ball peen hammer. You have to be extremely accurate as to hitting the tie rod beside the ball to tighten it up. If you hit the ball, you could " flat spot it" . Using a center punch will not put direct pressure on the ball, but around it.

buckeye

Just reread the original post. If its moving .5mm, thats really not too bad. I've seen them move almost a 1/4" inch. :banghead:

Don1977

Replace tie rods when they first come out, there isn't much you can do after that. You can hammer them for a temporary fix until you can get new one's.

wheelhorsec85

how many tie rods do you need ? i have 5 sets here ready to go . for sale . measure end to end , tell me the length, and there 25.00 for a set + shipping usually 6.80 pm me if you are interested . :banghead:

flyovrcntry

I like the center punch idea.But a hammer has always been the only tool I was qualified to use.I have seen it done a lot of ways,I bought a tractor one time that the guy had put a hose clamp on the end and slid it against the ball.It worked for a little while. :banghead:

wheelhorsec85

if you are out to far away and your tie rod breaks . make sure you carry a small roll of wire or duct tape . this stuff works all the tome in a pinch :banghead:

GlenPettit

I've seen a small metal "C-clip" used that holds the ball up, into the recession, but have not been able to find them for sale.

Anyone know what I'm referring to, and when they are available.

Seems like that would add some life to the tie-rod. There are new adjustable ones available on eBay right now for about $40 that make nice replacements, if it's going to be a long time worker for you, use new ones.

Glen

can whlvr

i admit that i have used both wire and hose clamps,both work great,dont look too good but it gets u by

Duff

I made new ones out of threaded S/S rod and tie rod ends available from McMaster Carr. Not difficult or expensive, and they'll probably outlive me..... :thumbs: The one thing I really liked is I was able to fab them to give me some decent toe-in which improved handling and cornering noticably.

Duff :banghead: