Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Freaking PTO..

sgtsampay

OK. After seeing Maine dad's PTO clutch set-up, I notice that mine, is super tight and it still slips like crazy.

I also noticed that the front of my PTO bell is beat up and is in need of some serious help.

It looks like some one took a hammer and beat the thing.

I do have a brand new clutch plate. I also checked it today and it doesn't seem greazy but I don't trust the seal on the back of the bearing at all. That bell msut be leaking.. Hmm.

Anyone have any help? How tight is enough and how can i fix my bell? I will take some picture of it later tonight..

sgtsampay

Ok, after a little further investigating, I noticed the source of my clutch woes.

Grease..

I looked again and found that the oil seal for the clutch has a little wear spot and is leaking grease into the clutch plate, which is making my clutch slip.

So, I order all new parts to rebuilt the clutch bell with and I'm now tring to figure out how to clean up the geasey plate. Anyone got some ideas?

Also, is there a way to make sure the clutch is tight but not to tight?

Kelly

To clean the clutch plate, use a can of brake clean you can get it at Walmart or parts stores, spray it on and wipe off, repeat, and maybe again, then I sand them with 80 or 100 grit paper, if it is really soaked with grease you may have to get another disc.

Oh when greasing the inner bearing jut a lite coat of grease on the bearing, do NOT fill it up, it will just leak out, even with a new seal.

sgtsampay

OK, Kelly I did jsut what you said. I cleaned it and then used the sand papaer as you said and scratch it all up.

The paper towel i used to wipe the pad with was pretty black. It looks a lot better now and feels way better.

I will rebuild it once i get the parts for it and I hope this helps it a lot..