Sign in to follow this  
sail8870

When to change oil?

sail8870

My transmission oil is a light tan color, kind of bubbly. Is it just bubbly and kind of frothy because the gears have been mixing it up because its been moving? If i need to change it, what oil should i put in? and where is the drain plug? Its a 1979 C-141, if that helps.

can whlvr

i would change it,it doesnt take that much,i think without looking it up i think it is 2 quarts,use good quality 80-90 weight gear oil,i presume that your tractor is an 8 speed,the drain plug is on the bottom of the tranny,it is an allen wrench,i forget the size but sometimes its covered by dirt so look hard its there.

porkchop

If it,s that color it probably has water in it. If it,s and 8 speed water can run down the shiter and get in the oil. :banghead:

Duff

Following up on Randy's post, be sure to chdeck the condition of the rubber boot where the shifter meets the tranny. It is at all stiff or cracked -replace it (still available OEM and not that expensive). It's the #1 source of water getting into trannies!

Duff :banghead:

stevasaurus

If it is tan and frothy, it has water in it...the drain plug is directly on the bottom of the trans below the fill plug. You may get by running about 2 qts of kerosene in the trans for a little while and draing (maybe an hour)...drain and if clear put in 90 wt...if not...repeat the kerosene and do until clear. Depending on how bad that oil really is...you may want to separate the halves and manually clean it out. A lot of peace of mind doing that. Check out some of the threads and pictures to help you see where you are at. Help here if you need it. :banghead:

Duff and Randy are absolutely right about the boot. :thumbs:

rmaynard

The drain plug on the bottom is just to the left and in front of the hitch tang. Use a 1/4" Allen wrench to remove it.

sail8870

This week we are supposed to get some snow, so do you think I could get by without changing the oil until after the snow? Is there any serious damage that could occur?

Thanks

linen beige

If there is water in the tranny you run the risk of it freezing and cracking the tranny case. The tranny on my 702 froze a couple winters ago. It didn't damage the case, but I couldn't go anywhere until I thawed it out. This happened with an outside temp of above 20 degs. GET THE WATER OUT NOW!

farmer

If you do change the oil, but haven't got time to split/clean the trans,

try to get the fluid as warm as you can, before you drop it out (cleaner drain). :banghead:

rickv1957

Some diesel fuel works good for a flush also.

W9JAB

I change motor oil every 10 hrs.

Tranny twice a year. :banghead:

B-8074

A half hour and 10 bucks now could save you alot later. Not to mention the piece of mind the you'll have your horse ready for the rest of the winter. :banghead:

keg

and if your shifter boots are cracked spend the 4 bucks apiece on them i sure did. better than fixin a trany

sail8870

Is the drain plug it the very bottom of the tranny or on the side? And can i just pour the oil through the area where the dipstick is? That seems easier.

TT

BOTTOM :thumbs:

(the drain is NOT the big one in this photo :banghead: )

drainplug001.jpg

Yes - fill it through the dipstick opening.

stevasaurus

Is the drain plug it the very bottom of the tranny or on the side? And can i just pour the oil through the area where the dipstick is? That seems easier.

Drain is on the bottom and yes you can put the oil in through the dip stick hole...but you only want to fill it until the oil comes out the regular fill hole. Important. :banghead:

Should be 1 1/2 to 2 qts 90 wt.

TT and I posted at the same time. :thumbs:

sail8870

anybody know where i can find 90w oil?

TT

Auto parts or farm supply stores should both carry it.

dgjks6

I got 80w/90 gear oil at walmart