Sign in to follow this  
formariz

Cast wheel weights

formariz

I just got two cast wheel horse weights for 12" wheels. Since they have the "notch" for the air valve, does that mean they are intended to be used on the inside of the wheel? If I use them that way they are about 1/2" too deep, not sitting on the outer part of the wheel but sitting on the inner part where the lugs sit. :banghead:

TT

Are you trying to install them on the 5" wide wheels? (6.00 X 12 tires)

Some of the cast weights will only fit correctly in wheels that are 7" or wider. (& with the correct offset)

formariz

I am installing on 23x8.5x12 wheels for the Electro. The weights are 4" deep.

It would be better for the axle to have them installed on the inside since it would create less stress on it correct?

IMG_5383.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

mid60's

The great thing about wheel weights is that you can add any amount of weight to the wheel and there is no extra stress on the axle or bearings. If, however, you hang them on the frame or any other part of the tractor, you have a horse of a different color. :banghead:

TT

@Cas: those weights are intended to be installed on the outside, just like you have pictured above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wheel weights might be considered "unsprung weight", but they still add torsional stress to the axle, hub, key, pinion gears, etc.

mid60's

Sorry for the joke, I've had a rough day. The torsional stress, it seems to me and correct me if I'm wrong, would be the same with the weight on the inside or the outside of the wheel.

Kelly

Yes it would be the same.

420lse

@Cas: those weights are intended to be installed on the outside, just like you have pictured above.

X2

With the decorative lines facing outward, looks like this is the case, but it would be kinda cool if they sat flush on the inside. You could fit 2 on each wheel :banghead:

rickv1957

Wheel horse made good looking weights!!!!

CasualObserver

The torsional stress, it seems to me and correct me if I'm wrong, would be the same with the weight on the inside or the outside of the wheel.

Well... not the same, but the difference would probably negligible in the setup being discussed. The farther away from the wear point the weight is, the heavier it is... basic physics. Put a 5 pound bag of flour in your hand, and hold it out straight. Then put a 5 pound bag on the spade of a shovel and hold it out straight. Which one causes you more stress? :banghead: Stress works the same from front to back as it does top to bottom.... it still wears out the parts and bearings.