Sign in to follow this  
COMMANDO1

PTO

COMMANDO1

I know ive seen this on here before but i cant find it. My clutch is always spinning, ive adjusted tre bolts to separate the plates but it keeps spinning.

Is it supposed to? Thanks

rmaynard

Do you have the PTO brake set correctly? What model tractor?

JimD

It's not uncommon for the clutch to spin if your deck is not hooked up to it. Some models have a brake that can be adjusted somewhat so that it won't. It won't hurt anything if it spins. It seems to me that with the bushing inside turning with the engine crank that the needle bearings are moving within the race. When the pto is under load, the bearing is in motion with the clutch. Either way the bearing is in use, so you aren't causing excessive wear on it. Others may have varying opinions on this concept, but it makes sense to me. :ychain:

COMMANDO1

ita a commando 8 with out deck. previos owner had it set to close and wore down the clutch pad. where can i gat a new one?

TT

No matter what you do, you'll always have one bearing or the other spinning. :D

Save yourself the :ychain: and the wear & tear on either bearing by removing the PTO pulley when you won't need it for a long period of time.

It's super-simple to do on the tractors with the "L" shaped PTO engagement lever, but you'll want to keep a light coat of grease on the inner bearing race (often referred to as the "sleeve") so it doesn't rust. You can even remove the inner race (and friction disc) if you feel like it.

You can do this on the newer models with the "bail" or "hoop" style PTO too, but you have to remove the brake pad - which is a pain.

My thoughts on why those little PTO pulley brake pads were installed....

1) Safety regulations. (to stop an attachment more quickly when the PTO is disengaged - which they don't :D )

2) To keep the PTO clutch pulley from leaving the tractor (if the operator forgets to replace the pin and the bail swings open - which has happened :hide:

Clutch discs are worn out when they will no longer drive the attachment without slippage. Try it before you look for a new one - unless it's obviously SHOT or DESTROYED.

Post in the wanted section, check your dealer, and look online (just like the rest of us do) if you need another disc.