Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Engine Option for 1967 607?

Polaris2007

So now that the new year is here, I will be getting into the restoration of my 1967 607. I keep forgetting, does "607" mean 6hp and 1967, or 7hp and 1966?

Did wheel Horse ever offer this tractor with a Kohler or Briggs? I REALLY don't care for the little Tehcumseh that is on there now, and it needs a rebuild if I were to keep it. I'd much rather rebuild a little kohler for this tractor. Which model Kohler whould be appropriate? I Know I could bolt my K-321 on there, but that would be overkill. I want to retain the "little tractor charm" Thanks...Jon

Sparky

Six horsepower made in 1967.

Mike.....

Kelly

Well you can make it what you want with a few parts, example you could bolt in a starter gen. 8hp Kohler with a few other parts like gas tank, belt guard, choke and thottle cables, wiring I think that is it, and you would have a 857 oh ya change the decals and if you get picky the ID tag. no a big Kohler will not fit with out mods, you best choise is the little kohler, you can use all bolt on factory parts.

TT

Did wheel Horse ever offer this tractor with a Kohler or Briggs?

The "same" tractor with a K-181 electric start Kohler is an 857.

I wouldn't alter a 607 though..... they weren't very plentiful. (but that's just me)

rickv1957

I would keep it original!!!!

Polaris2007

I really would rather have a Kohler on it though. I think I'll jump over to the classified section and see if anyone would be interested in trading my 607's Tecky engine, and the Tecky that's in my Raider 10 for a K181. Or I'd trade the whole 607 for a round hood of somesort. :ychain:

dave24

if you were to change the engine it would not be original but still would not hurt the value because tecumseh does not have a very good reputation <_

Kelly

Swaping in a Kohler if done right, can be swaped back with out hurting the tractor.

dkopp

My dad has a 607, but replaced the Techy with a M8 after it threw a rod. If I remember, the M8 bolted right in, no drilling or anything. How may 607's were made?

Polaris2007

Please forgive my ignorance, but what brand/model/HP is an "M8"?

TT

An M8 is an 8hp Kohler Magnum - the updated version of the K-181.

I wasn't implying that you shouldn't install a Kohler on the 607 either........

I was just hoping that you weren't considering "hacking it all up" to install a big block - but it is your tractor.

Polaris2007

TT You can rest at ease for now. I WAS considering putting my K321 on the 607, or even more extreme, a big old dinosaur Wisconsin single cylinder that is about twice as tall and three times as heavy as a K321. But I went out to the barn and looked at the 607 again, and it is just too nice to hack up. All the tinwork is completely rust free and straight. There is no rust anywhere. I think I'm gonna have to treat this one right, and do a full restore on it. I probably ought to rebuild the Techy and keep the whole thing original, but I just hate Tecumpsehs. I'd still like to trade the whole thing for a round hood though.

can whlvr

of corse its your tractor but i too would keep it orig if possible

littleredrider

No reason why you can't swap the Tucky for a K181. I did this swap to my 67 ranger and didn't modify a thing, in less you want to consider the cables.... :banghead:

dkopp

So just how many 607's were made?

Back when my dad installed the M8 in his horse, about '78 or '79, he or no one else had any idea of just how valuable or rare some of these tractors were to become. All he knew was that he had to have a working tractor and he did not have a spare Techy sitting on the shelf. He bought a brand new Kohler M8 and it literally bolted right in, no drilling or anything. It has been a solid daily working tractor ever since. His only problems have been shearing keys on the hubs (he built the his trailer a little too big, he has a lot of faith in his horse). He now has three horses in the stable, the 607, a 416-8, and mom's favorite, a 520 Hydro.

Food for thought: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, why not put an engine in that is just as capable of the what the tractor is, without going overboard. I can understand if an owner wants an "original" type tractor by putting a techy back in, but if you really want a good hard worker, put an engine in that is up to the job, whatever the make.

P.S. The Techy threw a rod about a year after he got the tractor.

TT

Production records never made it out of the hands of the :thumbs: people, so (with the exception of very few models) the "general population" will probably never know how many of each model was produced.

The deal with the recoil start tractors like the 605/606/607/etc. is that they were the cheapest "no-frills" model in the regular garden tractor line. It is my belief that more consumers wanted the luxury of turning a key to start their tractor instead of pulling a rope, so the demand for the recoil-only models was much lower and fewer were built.

A good example would be the ratio of 1976/77 B-80 tractors to the B-60 models. B-80's are everywhere, but how many B-60's do you see? Does that make a B-60 "worth more" than a B-80? Not in reality, but with the "collector craze" hitting garden tractors, anything's possible. :banghead:

Would I trade a comparable round hood for a 607? Absolutely not.

wheelhorse656

i have a 656 that was in the same shape. those teckys run better than you think. restore it to the original shape. but like everyone els said its your tractor.

If you decide to rebuild the tecumseh i can help i have rebuilt 5 so far! there very simple! :banghead: