Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

Tecumseh H60 Flywheel cover interchangeabilty?

hoppy

maybe i should have just bought a clone! :ychain:

got up and went out to gather up the parts that were drying from painting. out in the shop and i just realized i will not be able to bolt up the old recoil to the new flywheel cover i bought and just painted. The four holes are wider on the old sheetmetal compared to what i now have.since im using the original recoil. no go! i really wish i had noticed this before as right now im kinda porked.

when it comes to the sheetmetal on these H60's................what will actually work on differant models? here are the numbers im working with..............

original: H60-75129D Serial 4192......then these digits are on tag.......04623

new: H60-75446K Serial 7228C

all i have from the "new" is the flywheel sheet metal cover.

apparently the flywheel covers are not the same for these two models. crap. im sure i can but another recoil but how do i know its going to fit the new shroud. should i be concerned that if i get a new recoil that it may not work on this old engine? im not sure if i would need new cups, etc, etc,etc.

Oh the fun!

MikesRJ

I have a Tecumseh recoil available. Measure the distance between the holes and I'll let you know if it is a match. You'll need to measure distance between each pair of holes (to insure they are square), and cross corner as well.

The cover I have was on my RJ until I found a Schnake recoil, and is already restored. Here's a pic of the one I have.

061a.jpg

hoppy

sweet motor! im going to take some pictures and measuremants. be back soon! thanks!

hoppy

ok here are a few pictures. now you can understand why i needed a new cover. wow. anyway the recoil is off that rusty shroud and cleaned up nicely. to bad is didnt swap right on.

dimensions on old shroud are 4-1/2" square pattern center to center......6-3/8" on the diagnol. the new shroud has a 3-5/16" square pattern center to center and 5-9/16" on the diagnol center to center. just shy of 5-1/2".

i have two differnat style cups also. the one that was in the old and one that is differant looking but is labeled for an H60............

what do you have available? PM me with pricing to. thanks for the help. this is a long project and i hope to have the machine on the snow nex year. id really like to keep the techy but if i have to run to harbor freight for a clone i can.

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

TT

Drill the holes to match the old recoil in the "new" blower housing.

Weld four hex nuts to the back side of the housing.

Repaint blower housing. :ychain:

hoppy

easier said then done! :D although a great idea and doable......id rather spend the few bucks on just finding one i can bolt on. im not good at welding at all. id probably ruin the "new" shroud. :ychain:

TT

If you're rarely going to use this sled, just bolt the recoil starter to the blower housing and install it on the engine as an assembly. That just means that if the starter rope breaks, you'll have to pull the blower housing instead of just the starter. :ychain:

hoppy

:D you lost me. im trying to imagine your reccomendation. :ychain:

hoppy

oh you mean literally drill new holes and bolts it on? instead of doing the welding in nuts thing.

TT

Yes - drill the holes in the new blower housing to match the old starter. (use the old blower housing as a template - so you get it centered)

Bolt the starter on using regular nuts on the backside - then bolt the housing/starter to the engine.

MikesRJ

Nope, the Tecumseh Recoil I have is NOT a match. It measures 3-7/8" between and 5-13/16" on the diagonal.

hoppy

is there any reason why i cant turn the recoil assy 1" or so? that way i can have one of the guys at the shop weld nuts into the new holes so i can remove racoil instead of having to remove the entire shroud. if i align it with the other holes and drill right outside them.....it doesnt leave alot of room for welding in new nuts for the recoil screws. im new to techumseh so please if this is not a good idea then let me know. i dont want to make swiss cheese of the cover.

hoppy

kinda like this.......i added holes to the general area with photo shop. probaly turn the rcoil up and 1" instead of down.

001-3.jpg

puddlejumper

Hoppy if you drill 4 new holes to match the old recoil and since you mentioned taking it to a welder he can weld up the old holes while welding on the nuts and virtually make your modification unnoticeable to most anybody, and we wont tell.

Or I wont anyhow :banghead:

hoppy

im just trying to find away around having to repaint. i figured i could paint up some white screws to throw in the old holes. you wouldnt even notice from a distance.

you are right the holes could easily be filled.....but then i have to certainly strip and repaint the entire piece.

puddlejumper

Yes - drill the holes in the new blower housing to match the old starter. (use the old blower housing as a template - so you get it centered)

Bolt the starter on using regular nuts on the backside - then bolt the housing/starter to the engine.

Listen to the master :banghead:

hoppy

your right i should listen to the master :banghead:

TT

I was just thinking..........

Did you ever hear of rivnuts or nutserts? :banghead:

wheelhorse656

i have the right starter recoil for that shroud but it does not look anything like that one you have but it will work. $15 i also have the right type shroud in good shape for $15 or both for $25 Just p.m. me to let me know!

MikesRJ

I was just thinking..........

Did you ever hear of rivnuts or nutserts? :thumbs:

I tried that with a woman once, but it didn't go over very well! :banghead: :ROTF: