Sign in to follow this  
rob65

D-180 hydro rebuild

rob65

Is someone in the R.I., Mass., Ct., area interested in rebuilding a Sundstrand transaxle and pump? I do not have the time or expertise to do the job properly. Transport & pick-up is not a problem. Thanks Rob.

pfrederi

I took the motor from my D200 to a hydraulic shop. He did some checking and found the parts he would need to rebuild it were almost $500. (Just the motor not the pump.) Needless to say I brought it home and looked on Ebay for a replacement.

A common problem is a worn/grooved valve plate. You could get lucky and try very fine abrasive cloth on a flat piece of glass to refinish it but that is about the extent of any "repair" you could do with out getting into the new parts area.

wh79d160

I had one of my pumps rebuilt @ a place in Michigan about 4 yrs ago. I think the name of the place was R. J. fluidpower??? If you need to know for sure, I can try to find it. It was $$$$$$. Your probably not going to find any "self proclaimed" Sundstrand experts. When it come to repairing them, it appears they are the red headed step child of :ychain:

rob65

The reason I'm asking is that one is up for sale in the classified section for $250. re-built, in Indiana. Wanted to see if would be cheaper than driving there and back.

I have one transaxel running fine, and another back-up that i have no idea what condition it's in. (on a parts tractor). The latter is a 1980's, the running unit is 1975.

I am going to restore my D and I think the transaxel is about all I cant handle.

Looks like I'l be going to Indiana, if unit is still available. :ychain:

dgoyette

The reason I'm asking is that one is up for sale in the classified section for $250. re-built, in Indiana. Wanted to see if would be cheaper than driving there and back.

I have one transaxel running fine, and another back-up that i have no idea what condition it's in. (on a parts tractor). The latter is a 1980's, the running unit is 1975.

I am going to restore my D and I think the transaxel is about all I cant handle.

Looks like I'l be going to Indiana, if unit is still available. :ychain:

If it was truly "re-built" by a competent shop it sounds like a good choice. It will run more than $250 to rebuild yours. A quality rebuild should last a good long while, but I wonder what parts were worn and replaced.

pfrederi

There is no need to drive to Indiana to get it. The transaxle is well within the handy man's repair venue. The issue is the hydraulic motor. It is easily removed from the transaxle and is really quite small (a bit heavy) and easily mailable. When someone says rebuilt transaxle, did they rebuild the hydro motor, the differential/gears or both.

rob65

I'm all set. Thanks for the input everyone. Moderator may close thread. Thanks

Kelly

Here is that rebuilt thing again?? was it?? or not???

can whlvr

i had my hydro worked on ,i took it apart and found broken parts,i took it to a hydraulic shop and they went over it,ground the surfaces that needed refined,had one part machined,350 and that thing is STRONG and feels just like new,it was worth it if u can afford

rob65

Pump & motor will be rebuit by R.S. member. Thanks all. I definately dont mind spending the cash to have this tractor run as new. There's no way I'm going to buy box store crap made in China.

can whlvr

good move,u wont be sorry,it will be good for many years to come