Sign in to follow this  
Clarkbug

C-120 Transmission Fill Plug

Clarkbug

Hello All!

I got around to draining the transmission oil from my new-to-me C-120 yesterday, and noticed that the dipstick on the top of the transmission doesnt actually fit into the filler neck. I dont know if Im missing a part or if something is broken, but the cap/dipstick just sits on top of the neck and wont "click" in. If I try to push it, it almost feels like the dipstick is hitting the bottom of the transmission case.

Does anyone have a pic of what this should actually look like? Im just wondering if I need a new cap/dipstick. I can always just put a rubber plug or something in there, but having the correct parts is always a plus.

TT

This is the best picture I have (without taking the camera for a walk to the shop):

B-808speed018.jpg

There should be a rubber seal under the "debris shield" just below the handle. Over time - and with the exposure to the oil / improper insertion attempts, the rubber will expand or become distorted, making it very hard to to push the dipstick into the tube.

That's the first thing I'd look into, before searching for another dipstick that could have the same issue.

If you remove the tube from the tranz and use a knife to bevel the inside edge, it should help.

You might also have to trim (taper) the end of the rubber seal slightly.

Clarkbug

Thanks Terry!

Thats pretty much what the fill tube looks for me. Ill have to take a look and see if I just need to alter things a bit. Ill post a pic or two to try and help show what Im talking about if for some reason I cant figure it out.

Happy New Year!

Don1977

As they get older they get harder to push in, I guess the rubber seal gets hard.

I have a wood stick with a slot cut into it to fit over the handle. I get dipstick in place

put the wood stick over it and tap it with my hand works great.

Anglo Traction

Hope this may clarify it for you.... Make sure it is clean up inside the Dust Cup and lubricated. Just in case it turns out the Stick is actually touching the bottom of the case, the length of the Dipstick is 5 1/2" from the rivet holding the rubber seal to the tip. Sorry for the image quality, Camera macro is not good (or me using it the wrong way) .

DSC00433.jpg

Regards

Clarkbug

Hope this may clarify it for you....

Thank you again for the great information! Now I just need a few more hours in the day to put all of it to use! Hopefully Ill get a chance to tinker with the ol' girl a little bit more this week after my day job. Ill measure and see if I have the right stick or not.