Sign in to follow this  
mr.pipes

Plastic Wheel Weights

mr.pipes

Does anyone know what the plastic weights are filled with? Do they come filled? I thought I had read that these are still available. Do you know if cast iron weights are still available from the dealers? Thanks for the help

Kelly

Most all plastic ones are filled with cement, some times sand, you can buy just the plastic shell some times on ebay, I've heard you can still buy the cast ones new, but are not cheap.

Tim

Go to Gauvin supply, I bought a set a few years ago from him

they were not wheelhorse but they were cast.

they were about $125 and weighed about 75 lb each.

they are probably more now...

everything goes up...

plastic ones rip up eventually as they stick out so far

mr.pipes

Go to Gauvin supply, I bought a set a few years ago from him

they were not wheelhorse but they were cast.

they were about $125 and weighed about 75 lb each.

they are probably more now...

everything goes up...

plastic ones rip up eventually as they stick out so far

That doesn't sound to bad, I'll ask Steve if he can still get them. Need to go down there anyway for parts on these two Ariens blowers I am trying to bring back to life.

I got a set of the plastic ones recently in a package deal and one cracked like you said. I spilled some of the filling on the floor today and when I swept it onto a piece of paper I couldn't believe it. It was about half a shot glass full and I thought the paper was stuck to the floor. It looks like metal shavings or an abrasive of some sort. It is magnetic as well. My neighbor used to work at Washington Mills but moved down south. I bet they have something there that would be comparable to whatever this stuff is.

GlenPettit

Sears sells the empty black plastic weights that look exactly like the Wheel Horse ones, about $40, easy to fill with fine silica sand, or cement.

cpete1

I just bought and received a new plastic set from a tire chain site on the web. The instructions suggest using cement or mortar mix to fill. One bag supposedly does the trick. They have pvc pipes which run through the plastic tub for the threaded rods to mount to the rim. They do stick out about 2 inches but have a recess that goes into the rim. Cost with shipping was $75. I intend to fill them today, have to set for 24 hours for the mix to harden. 40 lbs per side.

Hope this helps.

Chris

KC9KAS

Mr. Pipes...your weights may have been filled with a type of steel shot used in shot blasters (a type of sand blaster).

This stuff IS heavy! Most drums of liquids in our chemical storage area weigh 500 to 750 pounds....this stuff weighs 2000 pounds a drum!

cpete1

I filled my plastic weights with mortar mix. Used about 4/5 of the 80 lb. bag. Tremendous difference in traction. Also put chains on. Snow doesn't seem to stop it. We're getting 4 to 6 inches tonight. Will try the machine tomorrow in the am. They do stick out about 2+ inches but I don't think it will be a problem.

Chris

Raider

I've been thinking that filling the plastic weights with lead shot and epoxy or polyester casting resin would work well. It wouldn't matter if the cover tore open because the shot would be cast in resin. Lead is of course very heavy and it also doesn't rust and expand like steel would.

I have concrete weights that I made and they did make a big difference but to add 60lbs per wheel makes for a very large, bulky weight.

Dresden Guy

Mr. Pipes...your weights may have been filled with a type of steel shot used in shot blasters (a type of sand blaster).

This stuff IS heavy! Most drums of liquids in our chemical storage area weigh 500 to 750 pounds....this stuff weighs 2000 pounds a drum!

After reading about possible fillers for empty plastic wheel weights, I would contact a machine shop that does blanchard grinding and ask for the metal shavings/grindings that gathers in the catch tray.

It is pure metal, about like cornmeal or flour depending on the grit of the wheel, and is very HEAVY. Just need to get a couple of buckets from the shop and drain the grinding fluid and you have a "pourable" metal, and depending on the alloy (stainless steel, Monel, etc. are of course non-rusting and a high density) would fill the plastic cavity with basically 100% metal, and be as close to a cast product as you could get with a fraction of the cost. If some leaks out, go get another bucket, refill, and patch the crack.

Just a thought ..... I know there are others who are familiar with grinding slurry.... what do you think? :banghead:

Don1977

It sound like they were filled with grinding dust, metal shavings that were swept up in a machine shop.

cpete1

Just a thought ..... I know there are others who are familiar with grinding slurry.... what do you think?

The masonary mix worked out pretty well although I'm certain addtional weight would be good. The problem with loose or liquid fill is that they could leak out. The plastic containers stick out at least 2 inches beyond the wheel. With the concrete, its done and even if you cut the container you don't lose anything. As far as the lead goes, I just got done paying close to $500 for a RRP certificate to work on 1978 or older homes because of lead paint residue. Don't need the added liabilty right now. The tractor with a snowblower and the weight and chains worked amazing this past weekend. Don't really need much more. But to each his own, Nice to have the site to discuss this stuff.

Chris