Sign in to follow this  
DMK855

Any Deere guys on here??

DMK855

I have the chance to drag home a 1971 JD 110 and was curious of there value and parts price/avail. More than likely going to load it up and take it as the K181 is supposed to be good and the 23X8.5-12 ags will work on my horses!!

If it appears that it is not worth fixxing, will the K181 work on a WH?? I know the JD's used different crankshafts on some models. I did not grab the spec number from the motor, but can get it in the morning.

As far as the machine itself, it has no attatchments and the hood is busted up at the front and right side at the hinge. The Pan is in good shape with just some minor pitting under the seat. This was supposed to be a running machine when parked. The deck rotted away and was unrepairable?!?!?

Thanks again!!

Dwayne

LET THE BASHING BEGIN!!! :D :ychain:

Kelly

I have a number of JD's the 8hp engine should be for the most part a bolt in for a WH, the rest will part out pretty good on ebay, green sells.

Sparky

T-Mo is pretty knowledgable about the Green stuff (but we like him anyway :ychain: ) so he'll be able to get you some info on it.

The Ag's might work on a wheelhorse IF the offset on the rim isnt to far off what a Wheel Horse needs. Unless your planning on remounting the Ag's on Wheel Horse rims.

Mike.........

T-Mo

The JD 110s were pretty similar in design to a Wheel Horse with the horizontal engine, side crankshaft, pto type set up, etc. The JDs differed in the fact that they had variators on them, a pulley system that has a lever on the right side of the dash that allowed the operator to change speeds on the fly in any gear. It's a reliable system, though like anything mechanical, it needs maintenance.

Parts are readily available, and contrary to popular belief, doesn't run too much more than Wheel Horse parts and on some parts, might be cheaper. Hoods are fiberglass, won't rust, but will fade and crack if abused. Transmission is 4-speed with granny low, Peerless belt drive. The 110 was made from 1963 to 1967 using separate round fenders, and in 1968, Deere redesigned them and changed the round fenders to a single square fender deck, change a lot of components, but the basic variator drive system stayed the same.

The 110s and 112s are pretty common, and not rare. A lot of them are still in use today.

6wheeler

I think they are good tractors. I had one and wish I would have kept it. I really like the variable speed. If you can go a little faster, you can. If the goings tough, you can go a little slower. All without changing a whole gear. I would like to see a round fender 110 with a tricycle front . That would be neat. That was my intention with mine, but along came a clean 116. And what I am now calling a bad trade. Oh well, live and learn right? Get it Pat

DMK855

Here are a few pics....

Got it Running today and it runs really well. I think that the belt is stretched/old, or the Variator is not working properly and also the steering is pretty sloppy. Undecided on what to do with it..........

2q9hxlz.jpg

2h4w6ll.jpg

15mya6r.jpg

vsn9ub.jpg

MikesRJ

Undecided on what to do with it ...

Bring it back to PA and drop it off at my house? :banghead:

DMK855

Well Mike, start looking for attatchments and we will see what happens....... :banghead:

T-Mo

If you were closer, I'll take it off your hands.

hm12460

DMK, the 110 is a pretty good tractor. Reproduction hoods are available, nice originals are getting tough to find. The variator is fairly easy to repair/maintain and if you need belts, replace both primary and secondary at the same time and make sure you get them from John Deere. The offset is slightly different on the John Deere wheels as compared to Wheel Horse wheels but probably not enough to bother. Looks like your missing the heat shield between the muffler and carburetor and the gas tank isn't original. I like the the 1973/4 models better because they have individual brake/clutch pedals. If the engine/transaxle are in good shape, it is worth fixing. Let us know what you decide to do. Kelly is correct on swapping engines.

DMK855

Harold, I still have the JD. I pulled the engine to use for my 552, but realized I would have to modify the tractor a little too much to work with the JD oil pan and the gear drive starter. I also advertised it on CL and never even got a nibble.

Needless to say, my 8 year old son has laid claims to it and it looks like it will be a part of the herd for the time being!! I will be ordering/buying manuals when time and money permit and will be putting it back together!! I also will be looking for the correct tank and the heat sheild that I did not know it had!! (Thanks)

I will keep everyone updated on its status when I get back to it!!

T-Mo

I just picked up a 1968 110 Saturday. BTW, here is a link to the 1968 JD brochure:

http://gardentractortalk.com/manuals/broch...-brouchure-432/

You have to register on that site, but the downloads are free.

Here is my "newest" tractor, the '68 110.

Picture_239.jpg

hm12460

Terry, looks like that 110 has a lot of experience! Does it run good? Good candidate for a full restoration!

T-Mo

Harold,

It runs pretty good. After this picture was taken, the previous owner redid the hood and it turned out pretty good. I need to take more up to date pictures of it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. It might just be moved for another one, or I might put it to work, or.....I just don't know yet.

Jake Kuhn

If you are going to part it out I may be interested in the pulley guard

T-Mo

Here's another 110 that I picked up last month - it's a '74, last year of the 110/112.

100_0759.jpg

100_0758.jpg

100_0760.jpg

fireman

That thing is clean T-Mo! That's A perfect candidate for a restoration.

chris11

Tmo what do you have for wheelhorse tractors?