Sign in to follow this  
farmer

Road Salt Spreader

farmer

Hello all,

I'm curious, i'm in the UK so such a device wouldn't be justified here,

but in regions where regular snowfall is a "problem" :hide: it would make

sence, to me, to mount up some form of rear drop spreader.

Capable of dispensing the de-icer as you plough or blow,

functional rear weight, two jobs in one pass, and a really "cool" :D

attachment, might make it worthwhile.

From reading, there are some really clever/inventive members on RS,

combine that with electric actuators and so forth, such a project should

be possible.....as i say just a thought.

ps (if however you get temperatures that mean salt is useless, or you

don't mind going " A over T" :D ) ignore this. :ychain:

:D

massey

I've seen the pull behind broadcast spreaders filled with urea, that seems to work good.

can whlvr

im sure this would work great,but i would be concerned with the salt rusting out my tractor,there is a company here that cleans snow from walmart and other plazas,they have a 4 wheel drive john deere,nice unit,plow on front,sander on rear(this is for the walkways)it is so rusted out and full of holes it makes me cringe when i see it,and its not that old,i notice it when shopping,just something to think about.

farmer

Massey,

I know the type of spreader you mean, ( thinking of getting one in the spring

for garden/lawn/salt next winter). I was meaning a purpose built mounted implement for blokes who have to deal with snow all winter.

Don,

I here what your saying about rust.. can't really blame JD :hide: would probably

be worse :D I'm not sure if the outfit you mention broadcasts or drops, i'm thinking drop...low to the pavement , width of cleared path. Maybe with a on/off

linked to the front lift, ... down/on up/off.

The hopper could maybe carry 80 pounds, .... i have the power-flow twin bagger on my mowing tractor, i would think the mounts for it would be up to the job.

Mmm..just thinking outloud. :ychain:

sscotsman

Most people in the US (from my lifetime experience in the North East USA anyway) dont really like to spread a lot of salt around their driveway..and its also not really very necessary..

yes, often salt (or other de-icer product) will go on the sidewalk, where people will be walking, so people dont slip and fall on ice..but in the driveway in the winter, generally you are only in your car, and going really slow..so even if it is a little slippery, it isnt a very big deal..

and also, around here we have SOOOOO much salt on the roads all winter, that some of it ends up being dragged into the driveway anyway! :ychain:

and..people also dont want to have their nice tractors and snowblowers churning through salt..because it is SO destructive to steel..we have no choice when it comes to our cars rotting away from road salt, but we can choose to not expose our tractors and snowblowers to excess salt..

A lot of people will use the snowblower or tractor on the "EOD" snow first, ("end of driveway"..where the street plows make a big thick pile) so the machine gets exposed to that salty snow first, then go and clear the rest of the driveway last, so that "clean" snow can have a chance to clean off the salty snow and melting salty water..

So for the majority of American homeowners, IMO I dont think a "personal salt spreader" for a tractor would be very desirable..or necessary..

Scot

RyanC

Rex, I like how you're thinking. Accomplish two tasks with one solution. I've thought about this very thing but haven't done it. I do use salt on the sidewalks as mentioned earlier but haven't ever put too much on the drive before.

I think it would work really well if you were plowing a lot of sidewalks or pedestrian areas. It would definitely add a nice amount of weight and be very similar to larger plowing set-ups such as DOT trucks, etc...

You could just fill it with sand, i guess. I do agree that you would want to get the salt off of your tractor after a big salt spreading session (get out the power washer in the middle of winter).:ychain:

Sounds like you have some very good intuitive thoughts. Keep em coming!

farmer

Scot

I can fully appreciate, from what you say, the problems excess salt can cause.

In the UK we have the reverse problem, snow is fairly rare, since the crunch

minor roads don't get cleared or treated. Snow packs to ice, any sort of hill becomes impossible.

I have to clear and salt my drive as its steep and on a turn, good job the snaps don't last to long. Thanks for your take on this. :ychain:

KC9KAS

I don't think the type of spreader is the problem, it is the SALT or CALCIUM CHLORIDE that is used to melt the snow/ice......it also melts (rusts to pieces) metal!

I used a factory built fiberglass salt spreder on the tailgate of a pick-up, and the bumper and tailgate rusted off, and I washed it everytime I was done spreading salt!

CasualObserver

There are some commercial units that do that type of thing. I don't know of any brands off the top of my head. Up here in MN we have to deal with a fair amount of snow. The Mayo Clinic is here in town, and as you can imagine, they don't take kindly to slippery walks and drives on their premises. I've seen several different attachments that are basically just rear mounted units with electric actuators. If you're looking to make one yourself out of a drop spreader, you might look around the internet a bit at the design of a Viking Lawn Roller/Spreader. I'd imagine it's close to what you have in mind. As for salt damage... you can limit that with a simple salt shield between the attachment and the tractor (if even necessary) . Good luck with coming up with something, we'll all be awaiting pictures! :ychain:

farmer

Just missed you Ryan,

Here we say "Horses for Courses" (no pun intended), maybe in the right

circumstance this type spreader would have its uses ?

mr.pipes

Ariens now makes one that goes on the back of a snowblower. I think it's called the Meltbuddy. It's just a little fella.

fireman

Here are some pictures of my Snow-Ex salt spreader mounted to the 3 Point of my GT-14. Ran the cable for the feed control and power up to a bracket just under the dash. As far as salt getting on the tractor, there is a deflector that keeps the salt from coming forward.

100_1449.jpg

100_1448.jpg

100_1450.jpg

bigblue12v

To add to "CasualObserver"s post:

Some of the guys around here use semi truck mud flaps hung from the back bumper or hitch area to keep salt from being thrown into/under the truck as they spread it. In a similar manner to how RV'ers have a "brush" that hangs from the rear of their truck to keep truck tires from throwing rocks and mud on their camper.

bigblue12v

Here are some pictures of my Snow-Ex salt spreader mounted to the 3 Point of my GT-14. Ran the cable for the feed control and power up to a bracket just under the dash. As far as salt getting on the tractor, there is a deflector that keeps the salt from coming forward.

100_1449.jpg

100_1448.jpg

100_1450.jpg

Do you use that hog on your driveway or do you do commercial sidewalks with it? Its a nice setup just thinking that its pretty pricey to do one's own drive with :D

Looks good though! Blade or blower on front? :ychain:

Kelly

Our shop at work just uses a all plastic walk behind broadcast spreader with rock salt in it for the front drive/parking lot, it throws it 8' all directions, and only takes a few min. no tractor needed.

RyanC

Very nice set-up Fireman! Tractor looks good too. The deflector idea sounds like a good one with a spreader. :ychain:

fireman

I have a 54" blade on the front. I bought that salt spreader a few years ago used for under $200 and sandblasted, primered and re-painted it. We get a ton of black ice in my area. It also helps by adding a bunch of weight to the rear of the tractor. I use it to do my drive way and the hill I have to go down till my road levels out. I live in a private lake community and leave for work really early. The guys we contract with to do the plowing sometimes don't get there early enough and I have to do it myself.

massey

Urea isn't anywhere near as corrosive as salt, we use it at the airports and aluminum (primary aircraft component) would go away allot quicker than steel. Also, it won't harm your concrete and grass.

farmer

Well, looks like the 'pro's have got the kit.

Fireman, really smart outfit, useable rear weight :thumbs

I think i'll go down the towed broadcaster road : :D

Clear my drive and lane, hitch up, 10 mins job done

:ychain: Gotta love the Gulf Stream, we are up with

Edmonton or Moscow. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Count my blessings

Anglo Traction

Hi Rex/All,

I obtained a Broadcaster earlier this year with the expressed intention to renovate it and use it for all uses. To keep things consistent, it is a vintage 'Cyclone' from the seventies (made in U.S) and is in the W/H colours. I also have the original Instruction Book.

DSC00361.jpg

I have already used it to grit road, paths and drives where I live, just to see how good it is and I was impressed.

I plan to increase the Hopper Volume with an 'Add On' and a deflector. But I won't use Salt in it until I've replaced a few parts with Stainless Steel.

I won't get around to this job until next summer, due to my currently slow C-120 project.

Happy New Year to All :ychain: :D

rickv1957

Nice set up on the GT14!!!

farmer

Richard,

Really like your spreader, i "watched" it , but didn't bid :D

It should make a nice combo with your older :hide: tractor

Having read your thread on it's restore i'm sure the Cyclone

is in for "the full treatment". :ychain:

Suburban 550

I just bought this 200 lb. commercial trail behind broadcast spreader made by Precision Products Inc., which I fill with cinders from the coal stoker to battle the icy conditions around here. Seems to work great.

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

Anglo Traction

Really like your spreader, i "watched" it , but didn't bid . It should make a nice combo with your older :ychain: tractor

Having read your thread on it's restore i'm sure the Cyclone

is in for "the full treatment".

Hi Rex, Thanks. Well , I had to go for it, just what I needed and it was local-ish. I'll make some mods, but also be able to return it to as original as poss condition. I will look to add weight and some kind of tyre traction improvement (for use on snow/ice)....maybe Studded Wrap-Around type thingys?.

Off topic- I'll be down your way for the Great Dorset Steam Fair this year with some of the other guys from here.

Ray- re :-

I just bought this 200 lb. commercial trail behind broadcast spreader made by Precision Products Inc

A good piece of Kit a few generations up from the Old Cyclone !.

Regards.

kpinnc

I don't mean to hijack a thread, but this may be another option just for thought:

Not sure how things are done elsewhere, but here in NC the state uses truck-mounted sprayers and a brine solution to prep the roads for snow and ice. Of course, most of our winter weather here is short-lived. I think the longest time I've ever seen snow stay on the ground here is around ten days, so I can't make a comparison about the longevity of brine as opposed to using salt and a broadcast spreader.

But, I guess I could use my sprayer if I wanted, since it's safe for use with salt-based chemicals. I "overhauled" an older, much smaller sprayer last year for spraying chemicals on the driveways where I work. I hooked up the pump so that the PTO on the tractor engages the sprayer, and added a much larger tank. It sprays about a 8-9 foot swath with the boom extended. Works like a champ!

tractor104.jpg

tractor102.jpg

tractor105.jpg

tractor101.jpg