Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Snow Thrower Performs Terribly

catman81056

I replaced the 5 1/2" drive pulley on my blower with a 4" pulley, it made a big difference in performance.

Did you have to buy a shorter belt then??? :D

You have to remember I converted this from a vert. snow blower, mounting brkts and all. I'm using a green Gates 66" belt. So far so good :ychain:

MaineDad

I will keep you all posted however I will have to wait until the next snow storm to try it out :ychain:

I was riding the clutch in 1st gear while blowing. If I went any slower I would be stopped. If my ONLY solution was to go even slower than I was, then I will be listing a snow thrower for sale and sticking with the Plow since I can have my 300' driveway cleared in three passes in 3rd gear :D.

Matt,

Were you using 1st gear high or first gear in low? I usually blow snow using low, 1,2, or 3...

Kelly

blowers and hydro's the only way to go, with unlimited speed control, and hydro lift....

can whlvr

i agree with kelly,the unlimited controlability is gret for blowing

mattd860

Tried the snow thrower today and it worked very well. It was throwing snow 15-20 feet easily. I used the larger PTO pulley and tried a bunch of speed variations. Feathering the clutch in high first gear was the best. The snow today was also a lot more powdery than the last storm.

The PTO clutch also never slipped once. Last week I soaked it in brake cleaner and sanded it down.

I also noticed that it throws snow a lot farther when the chute is facing forward. If the chute is turned completely to either side, I will not throw that far (maybe 6-8 feet).

Note to self.... CLOSE GARAGE DOORS WHEN BLOWING SNOW NEAR GARAGE. :banghead:

Thank you all for your help

Sparky

Thats great news Matt! We've all been waiting for the next storm to see how you made out.

Thanks for the update.

Mike.....

wallfish

Good news

Did you look like a snowman when you were done?

My ss blower with a short chute would cover me from head to toe. It would really cover me when the chute was turned to the side.

mattd860

Good news

Did you look like a snowman when you were done?

My ss blower with a short chute would cover me from head to toe. It would really cover me when the chute was turned to the side.

Yeah I got covered. Not too bad though since there was no wind and I pretty much kept the chute facing forward the whole time. I did hit a monster rock but the auger survived. Definitly only going to use the plow when clearing the neighbors driveways from now on.

can whlvr

rocks definatly suck

HorseFixer

Matt glad ya got her going! :banghead: I sure am glad I dont have any rocks around here! :thumbs: Yep they suck real good!

Raider

For what it's worth I've found that the single stage blowers throw snow best when pulling from one side and throwing to the other ie: load snow into the left side of the auger with the chute turned to the right. It makes sense if you think about it and with a good load going that way a single stage can throw snow a long long way.

mattd860

Are rocks less of a problem for 2-stage snow throwers since the front auger isn't spinning so fast?

Wheelbearing

2 stage is like a Rock cannon. Its like throwing a rock into a push leaf blower impeller.